Steel work size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've asked this before, but never got an answer, so here goes again........

I require to support 3 courses of single skin brickwork to go over a garage door opening. There is nothing to support other than the 3 courses of bricks.

The width of the garage opening is 8 feet.

Can you advise on a suitable size of lintel / steel work.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you want to see it on the outside, they would be a good choice... :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I don't like angle lintels on their own as they always seem to flex/tip forward
But presumably in this case, there will be something to tie to at the back of the brickwork, or strap to the roof maybe?

I agree totally with you, Woodster, especially over an 8' span. Ever tried laying bricks/blocks on an upturned angle over that kind of distance? It's a joke, it whips laterally, even if it is supported underneath and should certainly be temporarily laterally restrained as well during construction, then tied back permanently to some element of structure, as you suggest.

I don't like angle lintels on their own as they always seem to flex/tip forward
But presumably in this case, there will be something to tie to at the back of the brickwork, or strap to the roof maybe?
I agree totally with you, Woodster, especially over an 8' span. Ever tried laying bricks/blocks on an upturned angle over that kind of distance? It's a joke, it whips laterally, even if it is supported underneath and should certainly be temporarily laterally restrained as well during construction, then tied back permanently to some element of structure, as you suggest.
Shame you both didn't bother with better suggestions a bit earlier and the OP had to post 3 threads to get any form of useful response. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back