Stench In Flat Due To Cooking Any Advice Guys?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, my daughter just moved into a council flat and every room has an unpleasant stench of fish and spices, does anyone have have any advice on how to get rid of the ingrained smell without repainting. She is not going to be there long term so she does not want to spend time and money getting the place painted. Its a tenement flat with high ceilings.

Sponsored Links
As crystal ball above. saucers with bicarb, quartered lemons, both seem to work in fridges?

Try febreeze that may work? wash down all painted wood.

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation, open all windows as much as possible.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
My mum used to swear by leaving slices of bread around to get rid of cooking smells, bicarb is supposed to help

Thanks for your reply ill pass this onto her ;)

As crystal ball above. saucers with bicarb, quartered lemons, both seem to work in fridges?

Try febreeze that may work? wash down all painted wood.

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation, open all windows as much as possible.

Ken.

Thanks for your reply. Ill pass on the advice and hope that it works. Im actually wondering if wiping down the wipe-able walls with zoflora would help of not as its not something i have ever tackled. ;)

What sort of spices ? My neighbour is Indian and is forever cooking curries, it smells of curry all the time in the garden, so I spend a lot of time in the garden inhaling, love it.. Fabreeze and ventilation should help.

I love the smell of indian spices too. From what my daughter was told the previous tenant was cooking a lot of Caribbean foods. Its a kind of spicy, fishy, curry-ish smell ;)

Febreeze probably just masks the smell with something "pleasant". ;) Things like that aren't for me as always block my nose.

Bicarb works as it's acidic and lots of bacteria etc don't like that and it has mild cleaning power. I'd suggest sugar soap and rubber gloves.

Wash off twice and try a "hidden" patch of wall just in case. Or some sort of low suds detergent. The sugar soap shouldn't cause any problems on woodwork, kitchen stuff etc. Sugar soap is usually washing soda but may have other bits added. Probably cheaper and no abrasives. Believe some sugar soaps may have some in. None I have used.

Detergent ? Maybe Dreft or Stergene or some type for hand washing.

Bicarb works as it's acidic

alkaline.

Washing down with sugar soap will make a big difference. Cooking leaves a greasy film which clings and holds odours.

If the house is unoccupied you can even mist the walls and ceiling with a garden sprayer (without causing damp) but when you rub it off with a sponge, you will see dirt patterns.

I've noticed that a lot of smell comes off as the surface dries, and then is largely gone. This also works with vile smokers' smell, which you will never remove completely.

Also check everywhere for any food remains in cupboards, drawers etc.

Thanks for your reply, yeah there was nasties in the fridge and cupboards. ;)

Febreeze probably just masks the smell with something "pleasant". ;) Things like that aren't for me as always block my nose.

Bicarb works as it's acidic and lots of bacteria etc don't like that and it has mild cleaning power. I'd suggest sugar soap and rubber gloves.

Wash off twice and try a "hidden" patch of wall just in case. Or some sort of low suds detergent. The sugar soap shouldn't cause any problems on woodwork, kitchen stuff etc. Sugar soap is usually washing soda but may have other bits added. Probably cheaper and no abrasives. Believe some sugar soaps may have some in. None I have used.

Detergent ? Maybe Dreft or Stergene or some type for hand washing.

Thanks for your reply. She has been using the bicarb and it seems to be working well. She has done one room with sugar soap and its made a big improvement. I think the sugar soap will help and also freshen up the paintwork. ;)

alkaline.

Washing down with sugar soap will make a big difference. Cooking leaves a greasy film which clings and holds odours.

If the house is unoccupied you can even mist the walls and ceiling with a garden sprayer (without causing damp) but when you rub it off with a sponge, you will see dirt patterns.

I've noticed that a lot of smell comes off as the surface dries, and then is largely gone. This also works with vile smokers' smell, which you will never remove completely.

Thanks for your reply. I think your right there will be cooking grease everywhere. SHe has tried the sugar soap and its working very well. She has a lot of cleaning to do but she is enthusiastic at least. Thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Back