Step ladder damaging floors - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a step ladder for a while and unfortunately the plastic foot inserts at one side have eventually broken, leaving the bare metal edge:

This is damaging some of the wooden floors at home, unless I use a metal sheet underneath (which is a pain to remember, keep moving around etc).

Any idea what I can use to make a more permanent fix? Looking for something small that will protect the floor but not fall off.

Sponsored Links
Angle brackets, pop rivets or selftapping screws, piece of 3 x 1in planed softwood. Fix angle brackets to legs, screw softwood (or even a rip of 18mm ply) onto brackets

My original loft ladder, used to mark the landing carpet, despite the soft plastic ends. I made up a pair of wooden shoes, bolted to the ends, free to move to match the floor angle - problem solved.

Sponsored Links
If you send me a drawing of what you want with dimensions, especially the internal size of the ladder legs I should be able to 3d print you one in black PETG. Its the same stuff they make lemonade bottles from.

Use door mats. Put mats back after use to avoid conflict with the spouse.

Solvent weld some off cuts of rubber matting

Blup

1/2 a day step ladder training for us! :)
1/2 a day! We once got 20 minutes with the H&S guy and ended up telling him how they should be used!
We had to tell him that we carry out checks each time we use them, (he thought once a week was adequate), he said the pitch is ok at "about 1 in 5", we said 1 in 4. He also thought that if it was secured at the base with a spike/lash it would, "usually be ok if you didn't secure the top."
We demanded that if management wanted us to do these courses in future that we have qualified organisations come into the factory or we go to a proper training centre for them.
The same H&S guy attempted to get a few guys to remove a lathe from the workshop after one of our guys almost ripped his arm off when using it. Everyone told him he would be committing a criminal offence if it happened.

Make four wooden stakes and tap them in the bottom, then cut them of to the desired length. Small screw through the side to hold them in position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back