Step ladders and extension ladders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to treat myself to a new step ladder, as my old faithful has basically had it after many years of abuse. It also gives me a chance to get a slightly taller one, as its only 4-tread.

Can anybody recommend any brands? Ideally I'd prefer one with a platform, and decent feet that aren't going to damage any flooring in finished rooms.

Whilst I'm here, how about recommendations for extension ladders? I have a telescopic for getting in awkward spaces and doing odd jobs, but may need something a bit taller and sturdier in future to get up to the roofline.

Sponsored Links
If you are looking for a trade quality ladder (which will basically be far more stable than DIY model not to mention out lasting it) then Youngman is a reliable (and British) brand. I've had one of their fibreglass step ladders for about 10 years now, partly because it is insulated (unlike aluminium) and reduces the risk of electrocution when working on electrics at home. Not the cheapest though. I also have a 4-fold a (W-fold) aluminium ladder for more awkward accesses (Lyte brand) which with the addition of a piece of plywood does service as a work bench. Of the two the step ladder is far more comfortable to work off for extended periods, but the W-fold allows me to work in the stair wells and outside up to upstairs window sill level. Above that and I hire-in a tower or ladders

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more interested in quality than price, so I'll take a look at Youngman. I wondered if the 2-section adjustable ones like Little Giant make would be worth the outlay too, to have the height adjustment.

Was having a look at some 4-way ladders last night, they look really useful. Could consider sacrificing the platform when in step-ladder config to have the flexibility of the 4-way.

It sort of depends on how long you are on them during a day - the narrower rungs on the multi fold type and traditional extending ladders can take their toll on your feet if you are on them for extended periods, say an hour or more at a time

Sponsored Links
I'm generally up and down ladders rather than staying up them for prolonged periods. Step ladders generally for decorating work and longer ladders for outdoor repairs e.g. leadwork, gutters etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back