Stepped Cavity Tray & Lead Flashing Position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,
Just a quick question, installed stepped cavity trays in the existing wall above single story extension roof.

Does the lead flashing installed under the cavity tray extend the full length of the tray? The full length is about 330 - 340mm long and my lead is 300mm wide.....just wanted to know if I could save abit of material.

Cheers,
Ant

Attachments

• 20200405_172342.jpg
    20200405_172342.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG-20200405-WA0033.jpeg
    IMG-20200405-WA0033.jpeg
    600 KB · Views: 352
Sponsored Links
That's odd. Where did that idea come from to do flashing like that?

My mates a roofer, he's old school and says to me that some of the ways lead is installed, it guarantees, the lead to fatigue and fail as it expands and contracts......I can't argue with his I have no idea.

I used lead free flashing to try it...he was not impressed.

Ant

My mates a roofer, he's old school and says to me that some of the ways lead is installed, it guarantees, the lead to fatigue and fail as it expands and contracts......I can't argue with his I have no idea.

I used lead free flashing to try it...he was not impressed.

Ant
The thing is, it would be a plumber from the old skool that did lead work, not a roofer.

I don't even recall seeing flashing like that on historic buildings, unless it's some regional thing.

Anyway to the question, ideally the trays would be fitted in the correct place so that there is no unprotected wall between the flashing and the tray. But a small bit of exposed wall won't matter, as the main criteria would be to have a nice line of flashing steps, not random lengths.

Sponsored Links
Looks all wrong to me. Nothing like the usual stepped cavity tray and flashing details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back