Stepped DPC making tidy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

I have this hole in the render outside in the wall and I want to fill it in, it's a solid brick wall and the dpc is stepped, the porch dpc is highier than the original wall.

I filled the hole in originally with lime nhl 3.5 and finished in lime wash, hoping it would breath and release moisture. (It was incredibly thick maybe 100mm).

But I noticed the lower internal wall was soping wet as the plasters bonding never fully dried even after 3 months. I believe it's because I was bringing the dpc inside and outside, there was also salts present inside and outside.

After hacking the inside and outside plaster above the dpc the wall seems to be pretty darn dry now. No more salts and I feel comfortable tackling it again.

How could I achieve a flush finish without bridging the dpc and still filling in the hole so it's a more clean finish?

Cheers for any suggestions.

Attachments

• 20220217_084514.jpg
    20220217_084514.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20211115_183622.jpg
    20211115_183622.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220603_205548.jpg
    20220603_205548.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220603_205557.jpg
    20220603_205557.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
The Down pipes should run to drainage or soak away , they look to be discharging against the wall?

Yeah annoyingly I cant fix any of that, its alot better than it was, but to do it properly would cost thousands and next door have also said they dont want there drive disturbed so its very complicated. (Shared downpipe/ drain).

That downpipe in the pic is only from the porch and angled away from the wall so it's not a massive quantity of water. The aco drain pipe runs into a void at the bottom of the French drain, so water is diverted away from the wall basically.

The main roof downpipe runs to the road, The french drain is acting as a soakaway at the minute which I know isnt fantastic next to foundations! but I've dug it all out increased the capacity and tried my best to mitigate the situation.

It does seem to have worked as the water used to flood and come through the air bricks but now it's fine under heavy down pours.

My idea for the hole at the minute is to run a bell mouth bead from the door above the dpc and continue about 100mm into the original render, then concrete/ lime underneath the drip bead to create a plinth, ensuring I dont bridge the dpc. That's all I can think of, i guess i can always hack it off if it doesnt work.

The French drain will only cope with rainfall landing on it not rain diverted into it .You will always have problems till it’s remedied correctly .

Sponsored Links
Cheers for reply, yeah I know I just cant do anything about it without extreme costs and legal action with the neighbours.

like I said the dpc is working and doing its job, the walls dry and the salts have disappeared.

So im confident to continue I just dont know how to fill the hole in and protect the stepped dpc without horizontally and vertically bringing the dpc again with render. :(

Attachments

• 20220604_131706.jpg
    20220604_131706.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 43

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back