Stepping Stones - Weed Membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks,

Just after some advice, I'm more comfortable with the internal DIY but as the weather improved a couple of weeks ago the missus decided she wanted to change our garden and as such wanted to put stone chippings down on the first third of the garden surrounding the pond.

We are expecting the delivery of aggregate this weekend but last night she asked if it was possible to put stepping stones down: we have some 600x600 and 600x300 decorative slabs left over from a previous project.

I guess im asking what's the best way of getting these down. Currently, we have a heavy duty weed membrane down over compacted soil. Would I be best cutting out the membrane where the slabs will sit (they will not be butted up to each other and will be 'free-standing'), take some soil out, add a thin sand base and then a 4:1 mortar mix or am I just best off laying the cement onto the weed membrane directly?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...go easy on me ;)

Sponsored Links
Personally, I'd just lay the slabs on sand on the membrane, put the chippings down around them, and only bother with cement if the slabs didn't bed down, if they started moving. I wouldn't cut the membrane.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back