Laying membrane to prevent weeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to lay some membrane in my garden as last owner used terrible cheap stuff & weeds are appearing everywhere. I want to find out how to lay this correctly! The idea is lay this then add chip stones on top as I'm not much of a gardener. Can anyone help to tell me please? what the best way to do this is? I've heard put membrane then mulch then add stones? I'm confused?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
People use "mulch" for anything used to cover the ground and prevent weeds. So this could be fabric, cardboard, carpet, thick layer of compost, gravel etc etc. Stones straight onto the membrane will be fine. Bear in mind that the gravel should not be too thick if you want to walk on it, but too thin and it will get knocked about and the membrane will show through. If you won't be walking on it none of this will matter of course.

Sponsored Links
Don't know about best, but I used the heavy duty fabric from Toolstation about a year ago and haven't had any problems so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back