Steps to restoring a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have opened up the fireplace in the living room. I want to make it ready to burn an open fire. What steps/stages do I need to follow - what do I need to do - to make it ready and safe for an open fire?

Sponsored Links
2016-04-04 09.10.41.jpg
2016-04-04 09.10.38.jpg

Hi,

I have uploaded two pictures.

I will have to do this job myself. I don't have any previous experience doing this sort of thing so would appreciate any guidance you can offer.

When you say get the flue swept you mean I need to clean/sweep the chimney? And what do you mean test it? If I make a smokey fire in the fireplace and see whether the smoke leaks through the chimney into the house - will that do as a test?

And what after that - after I sweep the chimney and do the smoke test what next? Can I tidy up/repair the fireplace with fire cement; then put fireboard along the walls of the fireplace and on the floor of the fireplace. Will that make it ready to have an open fire?

Sponsored Links
Any redundant fireplace should be examined by a HETAS before bringing it back into use again.
Chimney flues are swept with rods, and usually smoke tested with smoke pellets.
Your fire opening back wall looks unstable: whats on the other (out?)side of the back wall, can you post a photo?
Are there any signs of damp on or around the chimney breast?
There have recently been a number of similar questions, perhaps you might like to search back a little or read the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page?

You've got your work cut out there..it's a bigger job than you think. As an independent HETAS engineer I often advise homeowners on how to do most of the building work them selves to keep the costs down, or use a builder because they are cheaper and quicker than myself. The previous comments were correct.
This is clearly an old unlined brick chimney with some lousy brick work...
It will leak dangerous CO fumes and smoke like a sieve without a new lining, and the lining will have to be a minimum of 200mm internal diameter, irrespective of what material you use. = bucks,
Any work on a chimney and fireplace requires Building Control approval, either directly or via a HETAS engineer. Unless the HETAS person does the work them selves don't expect them to certify it for you, too risky. It's not a matter of them making money, it is seriously high risk, CO from a fire or stove is many times that of a gas fire.
A 200mm liner does not like to go down a 200mm chimney, then you have to fit a stainless steel hood inside above the fireplace. Probably 80% of the heat from an open fire will go up the chimney, a total waste of time and effort and hard cash.

Your best option is to get yourself an independent HETAS engineer, not a stove shop, and go for a stove which takes a 5 or 6 inch flexible liner, leaving you just the fireplace and hearth to sort out (first). Find out and fix the dodgy brickwork at the back, make sure it is thick enough not to set fire to your neighbour or fall outside, and why is there that waterstainng on the sides. Exposed brickwork is ok , but if you want to render the inside it'll have to be lime cement render to prevent cracking, or cement boards, both work fine.
Lots of independent HETAS engineers will fit liner and new stoves (forget second-hand, most ain't legit no more) purchased by clients, provided, they have been involved frm the outset and it's the right sort/legit.
Your choice of stove will affect the hearth size and type, it looks as if you already have a basic constructional hearth underneath, so something non-combustible on top is all that it required, but of sufficient size - 150mm either side of the stove/opening, at least 225mm infront of the stove, 300 is better.
As a DIYNot website, I think I should commend you to read the Stovefitters Manual website, lots of good info on there. Hopew this is of help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back