Sterling electro oil headache.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have been struggling with my sterling 50 oil burner for a few days now.
When it tries to start after standing for about 30mins or longer all I get is a buzzing noise From the motor then lockout. 2 or 3 retries it gets it going then fine till next time it's off for a bit. I tried a motor capacitor then a new motor but no change. If I put live direct to motor while still fitted in burner it jumps to life first time so don't suspect the pump is sticking. I can only think it may be the tf830.2 control box not giving full power to the motor so Iv ordered a new one. Fingers crossed. Has anyone come across anything similar? Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is a funny thing to watch with the burner off the boiler. When it tries to start the motor buzzes and the fan just vibrates and turns slowly. I bridged the pins with the control off and it ran fine so hoping its that but can't understand what could be at fault in the control to cause this. Already cleaned the points inside!

neighbour had similar problem.Had boiler running for a few minutes using separate supply to transformer/electrodes and motor/pump.
Checked photo cell and boiler stat all seemed ok but when wired to control box it refused to budge.
Noticed 9 terminal spades on control box and thought maybe a poor connection. so just bent those in use slighty.
Also the No 8 terminal in base (neutral)was slightly loose.Re fitted control box top and boiler fired up without problem

Sponsored Links
Have you had any success in resolving your problem? If so what was the cause?

have you taken the pump off the see if it has has a stiff spot seen it a few times.

Thanks for your replies. It was the control box in the end. At least its been spot on since I fitted a new one. I did check the pump first and noticed the rubber drive tube was a bit long and was putting unnecessary pressure on the pump and motor. After shortening It the motor spun more freely but did not cure my fault. I also took the cover off the control box and cleaned up the points inside and touched up a few dry solder joints to no avail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back