sticking a bathroom mirror on the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

little bit of advice please

the builders, as requested, have left a recess for me to stick a (1000mmx 650mm x 4/5mm) mirror onto the wall. I want the mirror to be flush with the surrounding tiles. The wall is already tiled and there will be a gap of approx 5mm all around the mirror. My question is, because the recess is approx 12-15mm deep due to the thickness of the tiles do i need to build this out a little. In other words is it ok to use the geocel 'mirror mate' adhesive to 'build out this far. Or is it advisable to fix another 5/6mm sheet into the space

thanks
jo

Sponsored Links
Ideally you fix the mirror and tile it in, but as you are back to front then you will need a sheet of 9mm ply or mdf secured firmly to the wall then you can glue to that leaving the mirror just below the tile edge, assume you have polished edge mirror? You will need to be very careful fixing the mirror or you rusk chipping the edge [the reason you fit mirror first is so you can support it on timber while glues goes off.] A couple of theses will help.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1114...ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
cheers, many thanks for that and those lifting grips look the business
jo

BTW, when you grout the mirror, if you are using a course grout then watch out for scratches. Not normally an issue with smooth grouts.

Sponsored Links
cheers, thanks for that, i got the mirror up couple weeks ago and am going to grout it this weekend and i have some smooth grout and a wee rubber squeegee effort
foxhole suggested i stick 9mm ply on, which i was afraid to do and instead stuck a 3\4mm sheet on, as i was worried it might make the mirror protrude a touch as the void depth wasn't uniform i.e. 'twas 11mm in places and 15mm in others, also i thought the mirror fixing adhesive might push it out a few mm but it didn't, so i should have listened to the man! but its ok as it looks the doughnuts

jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back