Sticking acrylic splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The supplier said not to use anything solvent based and suggested silicone sealant. I stuck it with that and all was well - until the kitchen got very humid boiling up some veg. At which point the acrylic started to come away from the wall. So I've removed it and I'm back to square one. Has anybody had any success with a non-solvent based adhesive? If so, please let me know what it was. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Silicone on bare plaster will fail if steam gets in to the bare plaster.

The silicone will delaminate.

I would not expect that to happen if the walls had previously been painted properly.

Thinking aloud, I suspect that you have excessive steam and that the water/moisture runs down the back of the splash back. Perhaps seal the top edge?

MS polymers are often the better option.

eg CT1

You need to provide more info.

CT1 is excellent stuff but be careful when applying it. I used some to re-attach some trim around one of my windows. Unfortunately I had some squeeze out and it doesn't paint over even though it says it is paintable.

Sponsored Links
CT1 is excellent stuff but be careful when applying it. I used some to re-attach some trim around one of my windows. Unfortunately I had some squeeze out and it doesn't paint over even though it says it is paintable.

You need to hit it with waterbased undercoat first. If you use oil based over it first, the paint remains tacky for months. I have had that happen even when the CT1 was applied 12 months previously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back