Sticking gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted these gates and posts just before Christmas

and I was very pleased with myself.

Thing is, now they won't open. You can't really see from the picture too well but the coss beam has warped (upwards) slightly, and I'm thinking it has pulled the two posts closer together, and therefore the gates closer too.

Do you think this is the problem? If so, what should I do? Fitting another cross beam (which was a fence post - softwood), would probably result in the same problem?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Nice job Joe ;)
I looks like the gates are now just binding at the top - is that correct?
As the timber has moved a bit, by now its probably more stable.....can you plane one of the gate edges a little?
Failing that, see if you can adjust your hinges first!
A rain cap fitted to the top cross member - just to cast water - could be a good move to keep things sound in the future.
John :)

Timber swells (and contracts) across the grain, so the opportunity for gates like yours to 'grow' a few mill, width wise, is enormous.

I think you need to allow a bit more clearance.

wow some timber there pal.good job,as above its still growing,how much rain have you had?
coz it might pay to remove just a smidgen and then leave it,because if you remove too much when it drys out and shrinks the gap may be huge which will bug the hell out of you.

Sponsored Links
My gates move by 20mm over winter, in summer I have to turn the look keep over to keep it locking as the gap widens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back