Sticking Wooden Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have a wooden front door, that was only put in the summer 2008. Its been primed, painted etc when it was installed.

Last winter it was slightly sticky after the weather was getting colder, and the door 'changed shape'. However this year its considerably worse, and its so bad that I am having problems shutting and opening it - near the hinge side.

Other than shaving the bottom of the door, is there another way of easying the door? For example WD40 can be used for hinges squeaking.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Marie :)

Sponsored Links
was it taken off to be painted !!!

if not the most likely cause is the moisture has swollen the styles at the bottom because the the end grain is not properly coverd

is the door binding on the bottom or to the side

Hi Big All

Its sticking on the bottom of the door. If my memory is correct, the whole door frame was replaced, reused the original glass above the door, and the door was painted whilst not attached.

M

assuming its wood with an unpainted sill have you oiled the sill with linseed oil!!

was the frame fully painted!!

another thought is the top hinge tight or is there any cracks where the frame has mooved!!

Sponsored Links
Yes the frame and the door was fully painted, but I will check tonight to see if there are any cracks near the hinges.

I do hope not, although given all the shuving and heaving its been getting in the past few days, some might have occurred :(

Thanks
M

It looks like the door will have to come off, and have the offending area on the bottom planed.....however, the door will tend to shrink again when things dry out (unlikely event) so the secret is to only have the minimum planed off. Its likely to need a couple of attempts before you get it right but once there, the bare wood should be primed then painted again before being finally re hung.
John :)

i refitted an external door on a new porch i built and had no end of trouble with it.kept planing a few millimetres off it and then you worry how draughty it will be when it dries out in the summer.get a plastic one.

i refitted an external door on a new porch i built and had no end of trouble with it.kept planing a few millimetres off it and then you worry how draughty it will be when it dries out in the summer.get a plastic one.

Likewise...I've bought cheap ones and expensive ones, and they all change size by a mile. :(
John :)

like burnerman say the likley solution is planing and painting

i am just trying to find out if the door has dropped
if you try and lift the door when opening and closing does it help!!!

Thanks for all your replies Guys.

I had investigated getting a plastic one, but to get one in black - to match the style of the house and the rest of the house, would have cost me a fortune!

I did ask for aged hard wood, thinking that the wood would have settled.

Last winter (1st one) it did stick slightly, but during the summer when it dried out, it was fine, so this was why i was wondering if there were any other tricks up the sleeve.

LOL, as for lifting it up slightly, we try and and you can feel the movement in the door handle ... ummm. Also at 4'10" lifting doors probably is not as easy as it sounds :p

Baring horrible weather, we shall try and take it off the hinges and plan it (did I get that the right spelling?).

Thanks
Marie

lifting it up is just to work out how tight everything is if you have say 2mm freeplay on the top hinge that equates to 1mm at the bottom on the opposit side

is it the door catching or just the door drip.seen that before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back