Sticky Residue Removal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I've seen the replies to the thread with the masking tape, however, my material is plastic which has a chrome coloured finish. A sticky label has been stuck to it, which I've removed but the sticky residue has been left behind. Since it will be very delicate, how should I remove it without leaving scourer marks all over the shiny polished surface?

.....and why do stupid people stick sticky thing in stupid places (apart from being stupid, or course)?

Another thing while I'm here; how do I prevent stainless steel and chrome plated stainless steel items from developing rust? Why do they make these things for bathrooms when they get rust after being in contact with water????

Thanks alot.

Sponsored Links
meths

stainless steel does not rust

I wonder what your "items" are made of, and what you have been cleaning them with

Petrol will also remove the residue.

Not all stainless steel is rust free........................ :eek:

Hospitals/chip shops use what is commonly known as food quality stainless, this will never rust.
Inferior grades of stainless can and do rust/tarnish, but take a long time to do so.

Unfortunately some kitchen/bathroom fittings are not of the best quality, you only get what you pay for.................

Thanks JohnD/trazor.

I appreciate your helpful replies.

Now that I know what to use, how do I actually clean it off? Do I just apply the chemical, wait a while and then wipe off or will it need some scrubbing? If so, what do I scrub it with? Cloth? Sponge? The last time I cleaned something with the green pad on the other side a washing up sponge, the item became un-usable!

The items are just ordinary bathroom accessories. The item to clean is going to be fitted to the bathroom wall and I thought that plastic would be a better option than metal because in my experience, the metal always rusts. I'll be posting about how to stick it to the wall in another thread, haha.

We just clean them with household cleaners. I read instructions on an item once somewhere which suggested what to clean chrome or stainless steel with and for one of them it was glass cleaner, but I can't remember whether that was for chrome or stainless steel. I also can't remember what the other cleaner was.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
meths you dab on until the glue is softened and wipe off using a bit of kitchen roll wetted with meths. use plastic gloves if you have them. It tends to evaporate leaving the glue behind, so you can immerse small objects. for larger ones you can mix meths with washing up liquid and agitate onto the glue with an old toothbrush.

Genuine brass cannot rust but can tarnish. Chrome plated brass, like most taps, will withstand almost everything except abrasive or acid cleaners. You can get bathroom spray cleaners which remove soap, grease, or limescale deposits. You should generally rinse cleaners off in case they attack the material.

Genuine stainless steel is not going to rust. It might go dull. Brushed Stainless shows marks much less than mirror-finish polished stainless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back