Stiff tape measure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Stanley 5m leverlock tape measure. I love the leverlock function (tape stays put when pulled out) but it flops around if extended more than 1m. I don't know if it needs to be wider or stiffer.

Can anyone recommend a tape measure that doesn't flop around uselessly when up ladders trying to measure stuff?

FWIW I have a leica disto laser measure for long distances.

Sponsored Links
I have a Stanley 5m leverlock tape measure. I love the leverlock function (tape stays put when pulled out) but it flops around if extended more than 1m. I don't know if it needs to be wider or stiffer.

Can anyone recommend a tape measure that doesn't flop around uselessly when up ladders trying to measure stuff?

FWIW I have a leica disto laser measure for long distances.
This one has a 4m standout if you need shorter than the one above.
https://www.toolstation.com/stanley-fatmax-xtreme-tape-measure/p70249

The tapes with the longest stand-out are Stanley FatMax - the only thing stiffer is either a folding boxwood rule or one of those zig-zag rulers so beloved of German carpenters

Sponsored Links
I found this thread as I'm looking for an answer to this exact same question:

Any advance or update on the Fatmax recommendation? I tend not to lose/tread on/saw through mine, so not bothered if it's pricey - just looking for one where the tape doesn't fold down, twist, etc.

They all flap whatever they say about standout, fat max better than many

Blup

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back