Stihl Hedge Trimmer grease.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picked up a HS85 hedge trimmer dirt cheap where the cutting blade fitted is like a meter long or maybe longer.
I’ve a tube of Stihl grease which you screw into gearbox & squeeze.
On the tube is also a photo of a chainsaw.

My question is where would you use this grease on a chainsaw ?

Sponsored Links
Only on the extended reach chainsaws where there is a bevel gear on the pole saw end.
Can I give you a tip?
This Stihl grease is seriously expensive, and it just doesn’t go where it’s needed so remove the sole plate of the hedge trimmer and thoroughly grease by hand the two gears and the con rods that give the reciprocating effect......some types of con rod have needle rollers that fall out, others are plain.
It’s good to have a replacement gasket standing by as well.
I’ve replaced the blank plugs on my machines with a grease nipple, and I use a quality lithium grease with no issues.
Replacement blades are cheap enough at GHS Ltd, and I give mine a good coating of spray grease from time to time.
John

Just as an afterthought......
Some chainsaws have a greasing point in the end of the crankshaft that feeds the needle roller bearing on the clutch drum......in no way does the grease tube screw onto that though!
When you get your trimmer apart, check out the two tiny needle roller bearings that support the cutter blade crank - they are absolutely hellish to replace and sometimes not actually possible.
Occasionally I find a surprising amount of rust and water in these machines.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Could you say What tread size fits the Stihl Hedgecutter ?

Would this be available from a Car spares outlet ?

Thanks for your help.

Are you talking about the greasing port cap, Mr. P?
It's a real oddball.....it's around 11mm in diameter and I've never found a nipple to fit - although a 10mm will do for getting grease in.
What I do is to drill the greasing cap 5mm and then tap out to 6mm for a nipple to screw right in.

Tried 10mm nipple it fits, suitable to pump in grease then return to blank plug.

Would this grease be Ok the the Stilhl

Attachments

• Grease.JPG
    Grease.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 49
Yes that will be fine.
On occasion you may be surprised at how much water is able to get inside these machines!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back