Stihl Ms 180c Oil feed Chewed worm drive

Will have a look at them mate, cheers.

I've just gutted the saw, and with the engine out you can hand turn the pump gear. Seemed quite free, then... It hit a stiff point. I dribbled fuel and then some thin oil through it while I pumped it through by spinning gear. It now seems completely free- but would it be worth replacing the pump?

Sponsored Links
Well I can't think of anything else really - I've had Stihl pumps block but not fail in this way. Running fuel through them is a good way of shifting waxy blockages, and usually works.
The big issue is actually getting the thing out - it means handles off, screw fitted into the end of the pump and then levering the thing out - there is actually a special tool for this which Stihl agents have.
The pump would have to lock up big time I would have thought, to strip the worm :eek:
I suppose you could remove the pump and run the engine without it to see if the worm survives, but thats a right faff.
Best of luck....this is becoming a right PITA.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back