Stihl MS180 chainsaw Oil doesn't feed - Service manual?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I have a Stihl MS180 chainsaw and the chain oil isn't getting from the tank to the chain. I guess there's a blockage somewhere. How do I get into it? Is there an oil pump? How do I get at it?

All suggestions gratefully accepted.
Ant

Sponsored Links
Hello Ant
With the chain bar off, can you see the channel where the oil is supplied from? make sure its clear, and start the motor up. If no joy, or only bubbles -
First, tip out the chainsaw oil, and replace it with 2 stroke oil/petrol mixture. The tank and oil feed line does tend to gunge up on these, and this will help rinse it out.
Pop off the clutch and its drum (LH thread).
You'll see a worm gear behind, which turns the oil pump. A wire on the worm gear has to engage with a notch on the clutch drum so that it turns....but only when the chain is rotating.
If still no joy, then the pump has to come out - which can only be done after removing the rubber mounted handle - a real pain. A pump costs around £12 and the rubber feed pipe to it about £3. You could need one or the other or both.
John :)

Excellent - thanks for the tips. I'll take a look. I've already had the bar off and the tiny hole and slot where I think the oil comes out of is completely clean. I wasn't sure if I was looking in the right place though. I'll have a go at getting the clutch drum off. Is there a way to stop the engine rotating when doing this?

Is there a service manual available for these? Or perhaps an exploded diagram of the parts out there somewhere? or is that too much to hope for?

Hi Ant
The easy way to get that nut off is to shock it clear with a windy gun...Stihl put some device down the plug hole and jam the piston and undo the nut that way.
Preventing the flywheel turning on the other side is not recommended for fear of twisting the crankshaft.
Manuals are available - try GHS on the web for the genuine article, and also really good value non stihl parts like pistons and cylinders.
There is a 'special' tool for removing the oil pump. but I think you could get by by using a threaded bolt.....the manual is fairly clear on this.
This oil feeding problem is the Stihl weak spot.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back