Chainsaw oiler

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I have an MTD electric chainsaw which I've had for about 10 years but has been slightly faulty for most of that time. It was just the plastic hose to the chain oil tank that was split but not an easy repair, as the whole machine has to be stripped to access the oil pump end of the pipe. I used it for a while by manually oiling the chain then I replaced it with a new machine. That newer machine has now failed, so the old MTD has been pressed back into service. I have finally stripped it and fitted a new length of plastic hose. I ran it for several minutes but no oil reached the bar. Is there a way to prime or bleed these oilers? I did wonder about trying the Eazibleed tool I used to use for car brakes.

Sponsored Links
Does this machine have a plastic worm that drives the pump?
If you are certain that it is rotating, consider making up a very light oil and paraffin mix, brim the tank, park the machine so that the tank is above the pump and leave it a while.
Hopefully this will poke the pump back to life when you try it next time!
John :)

Yes, it has a worm drive but the parts are metal and not stripped. The other machine does have a plastic gear that has stripped it's teeth but that is the main reduction gear for the chain drive sprocket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back