Still having issues with the Texecom app unable to connect through ComWifi. Can anybody help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a Texecom Premier Elite system and its all working fine. I connect to it through the ComWifi unit. I set up the app so that I can receive notifications but every 2 or 3 days the app stops working. I am no longer able to receive notifications or access the keypad through the app.

I have contacted Texecom support who suggested that the issue was with my BT HomeHub as its default setting is to always scan for best channel and then flip to a better channel it identifies as better. They suggested that I select a single channel and turn autoselect off. I have done this and although it seemed to have given me longer periods of trouble free working the issue still persists.

I have had no issue using Wintex and that has not failed at all and that is also connected through my home network and the ComWifi unit.

When the app fails it doesnt matter if I try on home network or using 3G. My only way to resolve the issue is to go into ComWifi settings and change the 'Obtain an IP address automatically' setting to 'enable' and restart the unit. It all works fine then.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
if your still having problems pm me. need to find out whats what before I can begin to try and sort this out for you.

Ideally, hardware like com units /servers should run on static ips. That's the industry standard and solves a great many issues. You should only use dynamic ips for user PCs. Is there an option for creating a static ip via the com unit? There probably is on simple kit like this. Look in the manual. Do you know how to set a static ip? Shout if you need help.

I suspect that it's the Home Hub. Common BT stuff like this isn't really geared towards running servers from home, which is what you're trying to do. Texecom support's channel stuff is a total red herring. Wifi channel selection is automatic and transparent to tcp/ip traffic. The support staff won't know much about IT. You're probably loosing the port forwarding on the router or the DHCP leases are expiring and the app's not noticing. Cheap hubs sometimes 'forget' after a few days. The reason they forget is relatively complex, but the first step is setting the static ip on the comWIFI kit.

When it's set and if you're lucky you might be able to ping the comWIFI unit like PING 192.168.1.10 and get a success response.

Sponsored Links
Paul Uszak - Thanks for the response. The Com wifi does have a static IP address . Mine has had 191.168.1.99 from the start and I have made this static on the BT Homehub 5. At the moment the app is working OK and I used 'Net Analyzer Lite' on my iphone to ping the Com Wifi and got a response (average response time about 30ms)
comwifi.jpg

So when App next fails I will try and ping to see what happens.

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    132.2 KB · Views: 578
The response from Texecom is:

This suggest the com-Wi-fi is still being dropped off the network. As such when you made the changes to the BT home hub it then stayed on longer. Wintex would not be able to connect when you cannot connect with the App as they both rely on the same connection method.

I would suggest fixing the IP on the panel and Wi-Fi card so its not on DHCP and seeing if this has any impact on it.

Would it make any difference if I selected a static IP address outside of the DHCP pool (I assume not as a static address shouldn't change whether inside or outside of the DHCP pool). Also I dont think this is affecting my set up but I do also have a second router set up (an old Linksys) as a repeater as its an old house and the wifi was patchy. However the Comwifi is picking up the BT homeHub as that was the strongest signal.

no it will work on the bt hubs wifi it all depends on the hub setup and signals as you have already opted for the best channel that's not an issue, and how have you assigned the prortforwarding and have you been able to connect on a local ip level?

what is the wifi signal at the router end for the comwifi and what is the signal strength of the router at the comwifi end, I also suspect you can see the comwifi as an available network.

So, I have just tried the app again and its now not connecting. Interestingly I have just armed the system and did get a notification on the app but cant connect to site. I have tried to ping the ComWifi and thats working fine. I have also tried Wintex and that is connecting as well (all of this is through my home network - not 3G).

Secure I Am - the wifi signal is 47% - when I look on iPhone i get max bars for Com Wifi signal. Port forwarding is set up on HomeHub 5 for the ComWifi (if that wasn't the case then I wouldn't be able to interrogate the alarm unit over 3/4G I assume).

What doesn't make sense is that although Wintex connects to the system through the ComWifi unit, when I log onto the BT Homehub and view the network diagram, the ComWifi unit is not shown. It was shown when the app was working.

All very confusing

When the app fails it doesnt matter if I try on home network or using 3G

I can interpret this in several ways. So, the first thing you need to do is establish if the comWIFI module is still operating correctly when the notifications to your phone stop. And you need to do this without using the external /public network interface on the Homehub. That mean the PING has to not leave your house via the Homehub. I also suggest disconnecting the Linksys repeater during this ping test. The best way to achieve this is to ping from a PC inside your house, that is connected to the Homehub. If you use your phone, you risk going over 3G and you'll not be certain of the route taken. This won't help diagnostics.

If this inside house ping works when your phone app doesn't, it's a problem on the Homehub*

*Note. This all assumes the comWIFI software is reliable. I know nothing about it specifically. Others here can attest to it's reliability. I just know the client /server model. It may take some time to pin down an intermittent fault with so many discrete systems, but be assured that overall it's fairly simple :)

wintex is software to update the panel with rather than program it manually.

he panel cant send a signal out if its not connected via the coms module to the outside world, in this case via the comwifi to the bthub.

what you cant do is have more than 1 session.

so if app is connected, wintex cant connect and panel cant send anything out via the com wifi and so on.

wait a while and try again, with iphones, which appear to have more issues than android with the app, com all the way out of the app and back in or reboot the iPhone.

if you look in the hubs settings you should be able to see connected devices, via their mac addresses and see that the comwifi is or isn't connected to the router

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back