Still leaking..:( help please

Ive dug a little further along the pipe and theres another 'turn' which seems to have a pipe fitted into the collar at an angle to achieve a 'turn'.. it doesn't seem to be leaking, but is it normal to achieve bends in this way with the crock pipe?
IMG_1003.JPG

Sponsored Links
No, that's a bodge, (unusual for drain layers of that era as the job used to be an art), but they may have been limited to what was at hand (i.e. no bends), or it's a later adjustment to the original. I am in agreement with Ian, and recommend you replace with plastic.

I'd cut the last section of pipe you have exposed, (carefully), and then remove everything upstream of that, including the gulley. Chamfer both inside and outside edges of the cut pipe, (you dont want any sharp edges where solids can catch), and fit a Flexseal or similar coupling to the cut end to adapt from the salt glazed to 110mm plastic. From there, lay new plastic pipe, if there is no chamber nearby out of shot, I'd fit a mini chamber where the gulley joins. Carry on through to the stack, if it needs a slow bend immediately outside the chamber to get the right angle to meet the stack, thats fine. Suitable bend at base of the stack, and reconnect that.

Lastly, run to new gulley at appropriate position. Id look at using a 'Bottle gulley', and connect the rainwater pipe directly to the back inlet connection, then extend the waste pipe through to discharge under the grid. Whilst downstream may not be in brilliant and watertight condition, hopefully it is far enough away from the property not to cause a noticeable issue.

digout both pipes - dig out the gulley/bend/traps of both an plan on cutting them loose just beyond the next hub in the ground. you cut the clay with a 9" angle grinder.

but for the moment just dig them out to the first clay hub an post photos of what youve exposed.then you can be advised what to do next.

youve got 5 different types of plastic showin - try an use one kind only and fit a 110mm access fittin.

the clay breaks in the photo are recent not historical.

just noticed the latest pic an posts - theydidnt come up on my screen until just now.
plus my last two attempts to post on this were wiped out an i had to twice re-sign on again? i dont allow cookies so that may be it?

wheres the manhole - look for the gulley an the soil pipe inlets in any manhole.
if thers only one inlet thenthe pipes will have been joined somewhere before the manhole.

clear all soil an debris away off pipes etc before photo'ing.

Sponsored Links
I’ll take some pictures shortly of the nearest manhole but it’s not really close to the location... I have looked though and there is only one pipe passing through it.

I admire your spadework.

Be aware that you might be standing in your hole later when somebody pulls out a bathplug and the hole fills up with hot soapy water.

or possibly worse.

Consider getting a wet-and-dry vac. Very useful DIY tool and will suck up dirty water. Your soil looks like clay and will turn to mud easily.

Thanks John.. I’m going to post a few more pictures shortly... pipes are crossing over and I think they must not join until they reach the shared sewer that runs along the back of our houses..

if one of them was originally laid for rainwater, it might go to a soakaway or different drainage system. It is wrong and unhygenic, but not unknown, for people to plumb bathrooms into rainwater pipes.

Right... John.. you mentioned about a soakaway or different drainage system.... on the pics you'll see what Ive always described as a rain drain.. lol... goodness knows what leads to this...

The first thing Ive noticed is the soil pipe and the water pipes literally sit on top of each other... how they ever formed a seal I'll never know. Ive also taken some pictures just to show the layout of the courtyard out onto the shared access which does have a drain running along it (see the manhole under the small window).

The final picture is a bit of a close up showing the damp issue that Im hoping all this will rectify. My gut is telling me that the water is coming from the broken pipe and the gulley. Ive dug along the soil pipe which runs parallel to the wall and it seems all in tact so far.

Im wondering now what the best way to sort out the mess thats been left in there is, and think this is where I'll need your guidance guys..

I think from above the replacing the gulley and pipe from the gulley with plastic is a must. Connect that to the clay further down the pipework.

The soil pipe... I would like to replace the bend as the cement around the joint as it goes into the ground is pretty mashed.... so with the layout as it is am I best just leaving how its ran and just cutting the soil pipe at a collar and replacing with plastic?

IMG_1004.JPGIMG_1005.JPGIMG_1006.JPGIMG_1007.JPGIMG_1008.JPGIMG_1009.JPGIMG_1010.JPGIMG_1011.JPGIMG_1012.JPG

the one nearest your house looks original, it looks better laid, with proper bends. It looks to me as if it is running towards that rectangular piece of concrete where, perhaps, some numbskull covered over a manhole. I think I can also see patched concrete as if someone has dug a trench and then reconcreted it. Your little yard-drain is next to it and might be a late addition.

Do you think there might once have been an outside WC or wash-house?

The ramshackle drain does give me the idea it might once have been for rainwater (I see no other reason why there should be two, so close together) and from the angle, maybe it joins with your neighbour's drain.

Ian does lots of drains so may have a better view of what's going on.

p.s.

when you find damp in an old house, it's always worth working out the route of the incoming water supply. They usually start to leak between 70 and 100 years old. If they leak in a stone or concrete floor, they'll make the floor and walls damp. If they leak in soil or subsoil, they'll make a cavity as the water washes the soil away. If you have a water meter, it helps confirm a leak.

I agree with John.

The toilet drain is original and the rainwater one has been altered, the different coloured piece where there should be a bend gives it away.

I would cap off the rainwater drain at the second collar and renew the toilet drain with the addition of a new junction and gully.

Thanks for your response John.. The bizarre thing is about the damp is that the floor inside is concrete but isn't damp... its as if the gulley is leaking and running along a ridge in the brickwork.. As for the water, everything water run is at the back of the house, but we dont have a meter, so if this doesn't fix it I'll have t have the water board out I think to look. Im hoping that this sorts it... but your right.. some numbskull has butchered the place. I dont know why I'm surprised... we've had to re-build the inside of the place and are still working on it after the shambles we were left with...

I think Ive worked out - putting everyones advice together - and put together a bit of a plan of action... its a bit of a simple picture but hopefully it explains what Im planning to do..
IMG_1010.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back