Still leaking..:( help please

At a guess, the age of the property would make it on a combined drainage system, rainwater at the rear would have gone into the sewer. Originally there were 2 pipes serving an outside WC and a gulley for the kitchen sink and rainwater. The upstairs (indoor!) WC would have been a later addition, so I suspect the drains were altered at that time to provide for the stack. Maybe worth dye testing that gulley branch to see if it joins the main run before you cap it.

As you've indicated on the last pic would be fine, gulley can connect on a junction, with the branch at an angle if easier. Just make sure you cap the redundant pipe to prevent any possible use by rodents. I would be interested to know what's under that slab, it looks in exactly the right place to be a chamber.

The small window in the back of the property, is that a WC?

Sponsored Links
Hugh... the small window used to be a wc and is in fact in the process of being reinstated as a wc. That drains straight into the manhole seen by the window. I’m really curious what’s under the slab too.. part of me wants to lift it, the other part is thinking am I creating a bigger problem for myself...
just regarding the junction I’m going to fit... would you sugggest a mini chamber (I think they’re called?) or is there something that is buried that I use?
Thanks all as always!!

FC8430AE-6834-4428-A241-35E96CD8DF66.png

Given that at the moment, the run is 'blind', I'd personally fit a mini chamber. Gives you rodding access up and down the run. Appreciate its extra cost, but may save you in the long term if something blocks up.

I suspect the lateral from your property joins the main sewer run under that slab, which would give you access from that point, but if you lift it, you've then either got to reseat it or replace with a suitable cover and frame. If its aint broke, dont fix it!

Sponsored Links
Sorry to keep coming back for advice.... the wall shown in the pictures where I’m digging is the kitchen.. which is where we noticed the damp... it’s been mentioned to look at the water supply also just in case this is also an issue - my internal stop tap is - low and behold - in the kitchen... I’m a little concerned about the supply now and wonder if while I’m digging the drains out if it’s worth digging along the wall showing effects of a leak and see if I come across the pipe.... is it likely to be much deeper down that the drain pipes? I’ve contacted south staffs water to see if they have a map, but I don’t expect that to be quick.. just wondering if a) you guys thinks it’s worth digging a bit more just to see and b) how much deeper than the drain should I expect to have to dig?
Thanks as always!!!

The pipe is supposed to be 18" down, but could be anywhere. I thought your drains looked a bit shallow.

there's a fair chance the water pipe will have eroded at the elbow where it turns vertical to come up through the floor, so start digging there.

There is a method of checking if you have a leak using a glass of water... works OK if the leak is more than an occasional drip.

Or, if you can find a young person with good hearing, get them to stand in the kitchen on a quiet night while you turn the outside, or pavement stopcock on and off. The noise of a tiny leak is almost imperceptible white noise, but you notice when it stops.

You can also get an engineers stethoscope and press the probe against the pipe.

If the pipe is lead, ask your water co to test the drinking water for lead content. Do it now, because an appointment might take a long time, and you have to have the test before you start repairs. Look online. There might be a subsidy or free connection for lead pipe replacement. You can put in a 25mm blue plastic pipe which you will appreciate when you upgrade your internal plumbing, because it will greatly improve the flow.

Thanks John... is it possible that the water pipe runs under the floor of the house or will it run outside until turning where it comes through into the house and up through the floor?

it may well run through the house

there will be regional variations, but where I come from it usually runs in the street, under where the front gate used to be, under the hall floor, under the kitchen floor, and pops up in the corner of the kitchen where the sink used to be.

Terraced houses were usually built on the "universal plan" where the kitchen is at the back of the house at the end of the passage leading to the front door, with a bathroom above the kitchen. The drains usually at the back of the houses because that's where the bathroom is.

Hmmmmm right.. tell me f it’s a stupid idea.. but as I’m digging, and for some reason it’s quite good therapy from 3 kids during the summer holidays... but... I might dig down a long the wall line.... at least 18 inches... if not further and see what I come across.. I may come across an obvious issue which may cause the damp, I may come across nothing... if nothing, I’ll put it down to the damage I’ve already found on the drain and the gully replace it all and see what happens

Try the listening, first. No digging required.

Somebody will explain or have a link to the Glass of Water test to save me the effort of typing it.

Can't you see evidence of stopcocks and water meters in the pavements?

If the pipe is leaking in/under the kitchen floor (is it concrete?) digging up the garden won't help much.

It is concrete.. with a damp proofing plastic sheet that it’s laid on ... the sheet goes up the wall an in or two.. the floor side of the sheet and all concrete is dry.. the wal side of the sheet is damp.. the concrete floor in that area has been up for a leak previously that was repaired and pipes replaced but they lead to the wc. Nowhere else of that concrete floor is damp... so I kind of thought it was coming through the wall..

You could use a flat screwdriver to listen to your internal stop tap. Turn it off, put the blade on the tap and your ear on the handle, a leak will sound like a rumble.

From your description, it sounds like the leak could be under the plastic sheet.

Ohh god.. sounds like I’ll fix the drain work and then have to try and get that looked at. South Staffs water don’t have plans of the water pipe layout but they have said some one could come and listen for a leak...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back