Stipple Ceiling plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a ceiling with an Artex sort of stipple. Looks like hard work to get a flat on this. Any ideas what the best way to tackle this? I was thinking taking high spots off, unibond and a couple of thick coats of multi?

Even thought about cheating and boarding it out?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
If the stipple is not too thick you can scrape off the high spots and unibond it and skim it. But you must unibond it 24 hours before and let it dry then unibond it again before you skim, even two coats before you skim wont hurt. If it's to deep unibond again (24 hrs before) and throw a thin coat of bonding over it ( let the bonding change colour )then skim as normal.... Unibond mix at 3 or 4-1..

hopefully it's not really old artex? anything older than 30 years COULD have asbestos in, if not then take a floor scraper to the ceiling to remover high points then as roy says, thin coat of bonding if it's still deep or just skim it, if it's painted though i'm not sure you'd need the first coat of PVA as the ceiling is effectively already sealed and therefore suction controlled, just apply the tacky coat and get your plaster onto it

if it's painted though i'm not sure you'd need the first coat of PVA as the ceiling is effectively already sealed and therefore suction controlled, just apply the tacky coat and get your plaster onto it
I’m with Roy on this one; the initial, thicker coat of PVA 24 hours before is there to act as a bonding agent not to control suction; existing painted surfaces (vinyl, gloss or even nicotine) can cause problems with lack of adhesion of the new finish without good prep.

Sponsored Links
Cheers chaps, the stipple is pretty thick I don't think it been up too long as its looks like it was converted recently so hopefully Asbestos free!

So uniboning will be a must, would I get a nice flat finish with some bonding on first as I really don't want to slap too much plaster on to cover the thick stipple.

Cheers

Yes Neds,,,as you said,, uni bond/pva is a must.
As regards to bonding coat being put on first,,, it will level off the deepest parts of the artex,,, after knocking/scraping off any high spots of artex. Let the bonding set, then you can put on your multi finish. With the plastering, it's better if you can finish the whole ceiling the same day,, both bonding and finishing coats.

Roughcaster.

Cheers for the wise words guys. Just a quick question about bonding and skimming in one day. Since its a big ceiling and only me doing it and I'm not a pro, was going to spend an afternoons bonding the ceiling then skimming the next day. Is this not advisable?

If the Bonding coat is left to dry out overnight I'm assuming another splash of PVA over this before skimming? Will this coat need to be keyed before to take the skim?

Cheers

personally i`d take off the high spots with a floor scraper as trowelmonkey advised, but i`d use gyproc bond it instead of pva, or you could just use pva with a handful of sand as thats all it is, and leave it for 24 hrs, then a skim over the top, a mate of mine had this done and it`s still looking good......

use gyproc bond it instead of pva, or you could just use pva with a handful of sand

A decent quality PVA, with "bonding coat" through it, brushed on and left to dry, is perfect as a key on most sound, dry, interior wall/ceiling surfaces. Wont work on wallpaper, old distemper,, or flaky paint though!!!!

Roughcaster.

A decent quality PVA, with "bonding coat" through it, brushed on and left to dry, is perfect as a key on most sound, dry, interior wall/ceiling surfaces. Wont work on wallpaper, old distemper,, or flaky paint though!!!!

Roughcaster.
RC Does it again ;)

Will it work on tiles :LOL:

Plastering over tiles???? Should you??? shouldn't you?? It's that old chestnut again Rich'. :LOL: Yes,, it will/does work on sound tiling, but it's not my preferred way as you know. Although for some,,,, it might solve a problem at the time,,, and they might not even think about it,,,,, but it can become a future problem for others, who wont know that their lovely flat "plastered walls", that they wanted to add some extra cables/sockets etc into,, has tiles underneath the plaster. :eek:

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back