Stock market dealing

He seems to be a communist. He could always test how much support there is for his ideas by running for election. I'm sure the Communist Party still exists.
Nonsense.

He grew up poor in a deprived neighbourhood in East London and knows the value of money. He won a contest to get an internship at a well known trader in the City and made millions for them before burning out. I think his background and his work experience gives him a unique perspective.

Sponsored Links
Justin, my figures are confusing because 1 is a spread bet, per point, and 100 is a cfd, so is like 100 shares.

I probably am looking at the charts too closely. It causes me to get out of positions too soon.

I was looking at Hut8 and Coinbase when trading Mara, but I'm not sure that I found it helpful. A lot of the time they moved together. But when one of them seemed to be moving ahead, I tried Mara, only for the former to reverse and me to get stopped out.

He won a contest to get an internship at a well known trader in the City and made millions for them before burning out.
I don't get it. Why do trading firms allow this to happen? If they want to attract and retain talent, why would they let (require?) traders work so incredibly hard, only to burn out?

I don't get it. Why do trading firms allow this to happen? If they want to attract and retain talent, why would they let (require?) traders work so incredibly hard, only to burn out?
Because of the huge profits they make: it pays to milk the cash cow til it runs dry.

Sponsored Links
Because of the huge profits they make: it pays to milk the cash cow til it runs dry.
I suppose that must be the case or it wouldn't happen. But there's a difference in cows and people. People can just stay away, if they don't want to be worked so hard. You'd think there would be a business in employing people on a basis where they don't feel they are going to get burnt out, and then being able to retain them for longer.

Justin, my figures are confusing because 1 is a spread bet, per point, and 100 is a cfd, so is like 100 shares.

I probably am looking at the charts too closely. It causes me to get out of positions too soon.

I was looking at Hut8 and Coinbase when trading Mara, but I'm not sure that I found it helpful. A lot of the time they moved together. But when one of them seemed to be moving ahead, I tried Mara, only for the former to reverse and me to get stopped out.
figs - ah ok. You're doing cfd as well as SB - didn't realise. OK.

If you have the screen space, a higher time frame or two help show a trend worth keeping, as well as levels.

I think I use the parallel names to look for a reason to get out. If Mara is slow with another dropping, being more significant than one rising.
If bitcoin is on a march thouigh, Mara's normally ok to hold.
Today it's a pain, Bitc rose then stopped.

I'm not feeling enthused so I'll probably go do something else.

I'll leave a long PanW from 309. Tesla looks strong. VKTX should go to about 98 and polestar to near the round number.
Had a TP on Tsla just short of the previous high at ~205.5 and it went past so I was cross, but it only got 30c above. Then it's a short. :)

So it was for a little win.
I left a Stop ( which means go) order on Mara if the price rose, so that triggered when I wasn't there. SL in place.

Last edited:
Profit (tiny) taken,
Now bitcoin has been hacked, or something.
People are saying their accounts are reading Zero. Nya ha haaa haaa haaaaaaaaaaaa....

We can sneer, but it'll be the dollar one day!

Suddenly I remembered CEG I was in all yesterday
Worth a look tomorrow perhaps.
28% over two days.
1709156195513.png

There "should" be a pullback in the large stocks tomorrow, there's an unusual bond/ stock imbalance.
Apple, Google, Tesla, Msoft, Nvidia Amazon Meta.
Possibly Lilly, GE, , GM, Avgo etc.

If Nvidia hits something around 750 there could be a reaction. Todayy's Coinbase fiasco will have jangled nerves.

I don't have a lot of anything, but have set tight stops - which could be slipped through. ETFs are currently in "Global Equity" which is boring but relatively safe.

Last edited:
  • 28/02/2024 20:37
    ACM Research Inc
    +1
    £86.00
  • 28/02/2024 16:53
    Marathon Digital Holdings Inc
    -£87.00
  • 28/02/2024 16:47
    Coupang Inc
    -£107.80
  • 28/02/2024 16:10
    Coupang Inc
    -£74.80
  • 28/02/2024 15:55
    Marathon Digital Holdings Inc
    £29.00
  • 28/02/2024 15:14
    Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (All Sessions)
    £30.00
  • 28/02/2024 15:12
    Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (All Sessions)
    £34.00
  • 28/02/2024 14:53
    Tesla Motors Inc (All Sessions)
    +1
    -£174.00
  • 28/02/2024 14:51
    +0.20
    -£41.00
  • 28/02/2024 14:47
    +1
    -£37.00
  • Total
    -£342.60

Julian, do you view the market orders ladder? Lots of people seem to look at it, but it doesn't seem that accessible to me.

@Arbu
I find it very useful to drag myself through the mire of wishful thinking and illogic which festoons my own mistakes. Sometimes things go wrong when all the thinking is sound, which is OK.
SOmetimes, it just doesn't look right, in hindsight. You hear Cherif and Neal say it a lot - "I don't see an entry". They will both even let a stock charge up for 10 minutes and not enter. They've learned not to. They both say it's not their style. In other words it doesn't fit one of their rules for entry. Traders always say you need a set of rules, to give you the mysterious "edge". It helps with removing the emotion, making the business more mechanical.
There's a youtuber "The moving average" who sets out some rules, several sets in fact, which do work. If you stick to them, more than half the trades will work.
Cherif has a less developed intuition, so he has the moving averages on his screen.
(I don't havea well developed intuition either, but I'm lazy...)

I hope you don't mind - this is the first of your trades, on Tesla. I looked at where you must have entered, somewhere in the green rectangle on the green dotty line. Obviously it's clear in hindsight. All that was, was a little bump. It wasn't an entry. I wouldn't have entered there but I couldn't have told you why - it just doesn't look right.

If you'd used a couple of moving averages, you wouldn't have entered.
Here's Cherif's EMAs in the colours he uses, red 50, yellow 20, white 10. ( He also uses the 200 SMA and AVWAP).
The youtuber's rules say you only enter when the price rises through the 10EMA, the faster 10MA cross the lesser fast one or two, rising, for a LONG. He used different periods, it doesn't matter much. Importantly, not when you're in a period of consolidation or narrow ranging.

So that's when the price is rising, White crosses Yellow from below, and hopefully Red at least nearly
Cherif's lines confirm - no entry there.
Sure, the optimum entry would have been where the oval is, but if you'd waited until 15:07 where the white lines comes up through BOTH the others.
The exit is less clear. I think I take in how bobbly the price is. There was a dip at 15:23 but I'd have stayed in, because where the blue line is, (mauve dash), marks a recent high. The price had already blown through that. I probably would have (mistakenly ) come out and gone back in at around 15:46. Later, the price slope is a lot flatter so you'd be less optimistic on the next dip.
Those little peaks in the first dip are showing an uptrend, but at about 16:34 the price falls through everything.

To rub it in (soz!) instead of a £250 loss in those first three trades, you would at $1 a point had a $4.95 trade up to 16:25 or so.

I get it, it's easy to call nearly all of the indicators "lagging", but they usually work.

1709209606610.png

Oh you mentioned Level 2 (orders ladder) - I don't have it, yet. It can be useful when the price is approaching something llike a round hundred level, to see orders waiting at 199 or 201. I tend to get out early anyway.

Not trading today, I said I'd help a kid with A level maths. Differential and integral equations. Hows your damped harmonic motion? Already regretting it.

---
Does this help you?
It helps me...!

I don't mind at all, on the contrary I really appreciate you looking at my trades, thanks.
It's a shame that it's not easier for me to show you when I entered - even for me to find the times takes a bit of ferreting around. But actually I entered the first trade before the open. The price was below vwap, the moving averages were flat as it was premarket, and the candlesticks looked good. I considered getting out when it rose initially, but couldn't identify and reason to do so, so didn't. I was following what Shawn was saying quite closely and I reloaded as it came down - I think really I just wanted to reaffirm my belief in the trade, and I think Shawn was doing similarly.

Yes, I do remember studying damped harmonic motion. It was very clever, and taught us to value being clever. Which I'm not so sure was a good thing. There isn't that much call for cleverness. It's only necessary that you shouldn't be stupid.
Tesla.JPG

There "should" be a pullback in the large stocks tomorrow, there's an unusual bond/ stock imbalance.
Apple, Google, Tesla, Msoft, Nvidia Amazon Meta.
Possibly Lilly, GE, , GM, Avgo etc.
Apple -0.37%
Google +1.53%
Tesla-0.08%
Microsoft +1.45%
Nvidia +1.87%
Amazon +2.08%
Meta +1.26%
Lilly -0.52%
GE -0.5%
GM +1.16%
Avgo +0.86%

Why did you enter, then? VWAP is the one to look at for something being below par afaik, more traditionally the 150 or 200 daily.
The boyos only tend to go long OVER the long term lines, which defeated me at first.

I think Shawn would have held that all day. or doggedly until it was positive. Or he'd have quietly covered, as he says

I looked in late today and thought AMD might have longer legs, but it didn't, much.
It looks like the days before stocks trended all day like they have more recently. A mess, really.

That Shawn seems to be getting more obnoxious . Everything is wonderful even when he loses. Beats me why they faff around between a dozen stocks, without even lookng at oil or gas, say, let alone someting small that's moving a larger percentage. HIuge fuss when he makes a dahlar, even if it's a $800 stock.
I missed whatever it was today that could have moved the markets. Bond Auction? Maybe it's tomorrow. Nvidia hasn't really moved. Surely a sting has to be around the corner though.

OOPs forget to press go - this was yesterday

Apple -0.37%
Google +1.53%
Tesla-0.08%
Microsoft +1.45%
Nvidia +1.87%
Amazon +2.08%
Meta +1.26%
Lilly -0.52%
GE -0.5%
GM +1.16%
Avgo +0.86%
So - it didn't last. Spy fell 2% off the bell, which I suppose is what the pundits would care about.
A bit l;ike a tsunami warning.
"somewhere between 0.1m and 50m high...."

Have spent some time in EXPONENTIAL FITNESS today - even though that's an unfamiliar idea to me. Mentioned in the chat on ttv.

I'm well up on ASML but forgot it's an EU stock so it froze when the market close and I'll be hit with my site's egregious overnigtht fee x 3 nights.
Maybe it'l open higher.

Sponsored Links
Back