Stock market dealing

@Bod ... @nwgs Found this - Quite Interesting: Shows a "level" working too. First as "Support" and then as "Resistance".

1710032849416.png

Some stocks move far more than Lloyds, but this was a nice picture.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Poster-boy stock Nvidia was 2% down today, with some others, but not enough to make the tech sector off it's 0.5%+ trajectory.

I missed the start of the day because I forgot about US Summer time, but same old same old MARA did the usual thing once it had decided which way it was going..
It dropped 16%, of which I got about 10.

1710191802969.png

Leveraged x 5, that turns lump of money into lump of money x 1.5, dandy.

I asssume @Arbu has decided he can't do it.
That's not entirely surprising but a pity.
He was told what he was doing wrong, but he did the same again, and again. Each time there was someone else to blame, or a misapplied "rule" was to blame.
It's the human psyche. Folk always think they can do a bit better, or they stop doing something which feels wrong, or they forget what they were told because they don't believe it.
We were told "IT" doesn't work.
Well plain as day today, IT does work, as described, demonstrated and predicted, on multiple days in the last weeks.

Lost a bit today. Told 'er indoors to take the shoes back.
The bitcoin's up though.

SOmeonepointed out a good looking Swing trading stock. Halliburton, US store:
those swings are about 50%. Weekly candles
1710276907431.png

Quite appealing on the daily candles chart too - thise little humps are about 10% high.

1710277041090.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Got a small amount in bitcoin. More in Crow and some in Dodge & BNP.

About £1400 in all

Good luck to you. Presumably you mean doge and not Dodge :)
Is that BNB?
Just curious, where did you buy it, as it's not on T212.
Back when someone (Stadan?) asked last July ish if it might be a good time and I said probably becuse applications had been made for etf's, I'd just sold a house so I bought some. Wish I'd used the lot now of course.
I used a leveraged etf called COIN3. Roughly btc x3 but there's an element of the profitability of the company Coinbase in there as well.
Coinbaseis about on a par with NVIDIA growth wise - there's an NVD3 as well.
Some of those alt coins have gone nuts. I met a lad in a shop who'd bought a few hundreds worth of one, which went to 40k.

Even now, it's probably worth buying in a dip. Ether seems to be the not-very-hot tip.
If you open an account say at T212 just for that and buy the 3x Coinbase etf, you would only be able to use a part of the amount you deposited, in case the price goes negative. If the coinbase price drops by 30%, your investment drops by 90%. They'd have closed you position by then. If it dropped by 50% you would owe them money which they aren't allowed to chase you for, beyond the money you have with T212. So it's a bit more like a horse race, you CAN lose your stake, or make a multiple.
I wouldn't leave it overnight unless the mood is stable or positive, ie not right now, but within a day when the price is upping and you can shove a stop-loss up behind it, it's ok. Overnight you can move to the straight x1 or come out of course.
You wouldn't want a load of Apple shares in the same platform. If the Coin3x went bad enough they'd take the Apple .

Last edited:
Famous names are saying:
1) Tesla should be at $125
and
2) Tesla should be at $315.

$173 at the moment, so, er,...:unsure:

@Bod ... Can you set "stop losses"? If not, can you set stop limit sell orders?
Something which @Arbu didn't respect is the traditional advice that you should not be able to lose more than some percentage - usually ONE PERCENT on any "open position", of your trading pot. That means that if the worst happens, thet's where you set your stop. Might be difficult on crypto, but even if you go 5%, do have a level.
Arbu had a pot of £20k so his limit should have been £200, but he let himself lose £1400 or so in one go. Mine's over 10% of the pot but "the pot" is only a fraction of all the account (including what I've taken out). If the company went bust and I lost the lot they have in there, that is only a few percent now. And the FSCS should cover most of it.

@Bod ... Can you set "stop losses"? If not, can you set stop limit sell orders?
Something which @Arbu didn't respect is the traditional advice that you should not be able to lose more than some percentage - usually ONE PERCENT on any "open position", of your trading pot. That means that if the worst happens, thet's where you set your stop. Might be difficult on crypto, but even if you go 5%, do have a level.
Arbu had a pot of £20k so his limit should have been £200, but he let himself lose £1400 or so in one go. Mine's over 10% of the pot but "the pot" is only a fraction of all the account (including what I've taken out). If the company went bust and I lost the lot they have in there, that is only a few percent now. And the FSCS should cover most of it.
I've not had time to really get and understand anything as yet.

Not the best day today then.... Don't worry, it'll be up to 83 in no time.

Stocks have the advantage, in that companies aligned with crypto prices often move differently
Of top of my head there's
Coinbase
Marathon Digital
Microstrategy and 3x
Riot
Hut8
Coin x1 x3
Coin x-1 & x-3
Cleanspark

Some are brokers, others miners, some both.

So what I do is look at them all, and bitcoin. Usually they head off one way at the start of day and maintain it, sometimes with just one or two reverses. Several of them change faster in % terms than BTC does. Surprisingly often, one will be going up when another's falling.
Today they went up or down between almost nothing and 23 percent. You can jump between them.
I used a different one from my usual Mara which went up 10%, I used Cleanspark which has a history of being more rangey.
Turned out - by chance - it went up 11%, then down 4% then up 6%.
I lost a bot on the turns but that's still huge , about 18%. So even at x5 I didn't quite double my pot today, shucks.

The simplest strategy for you once you'd found out what was happening today would have been to buy Coin3x, which went up about 20% from the open at 13:30 until 3pm:
1710536234145.png

You'd have to be there. BUt to relieve the boredom, sell when there's a red candle and buy when there's a green one. Never spot on but helps a bit, and you don't miss the top.
As you can't entirely see, you'd have known the price was on the up from earlier in the day. The total rise was 37%.

I can't do the x5 thing with the 3x stocks, but there are other useful tools at a normal broker.

Last edited:
@bod... did you check what the price was doing atthe time you bought?
I don't want to tell you how to suck eggs of give financial; advice, but if I were wanting to buying now, I'd do the reading, decide how frequently I could look at it, see what the spread is, and see whether it's trending up or down within that timescale. Plus whether I could have a stop-loss and whether I'd get alerts on my phone.

I'd only buy it if it wasn't going down, and I had a reasonable expectation that it was going to clear the spread upwards in my timeframe, and I'd have the alarm and stoploss safeguards in place. (On a phone, obvs).

One way in to a long term position which is widely advised, is to buy a little every Monday (say) so you get an average price and not a bad one. That's called Dollar Cost Averaging. Not so attractive when the price is jumping up and you want some of the action.

Right now (Sat late): $US
1710636682987.png

would I want it? No. Because it looks like it's going down.
I'd buy when it started to go up..

SHould you sell, then??? Remember bitcoin is not loyal. Look at the graph. Would you want it, now? If the answer is "no because it's falling" then you should get rid. Buy again when it starts to rise (+++). Sure you might miss the bottom of the rise and then you'd turn round and say "I shouldn't have sold". But it IS falling, and it 's just as likely to fall even more , as rise. If you sell now and regret it, the missed gain is the "insurance you paid" for not losing your money, or avoiding the risk of losing your money.
Sure it'll most likely go back, and to 83k (supposedly the next level) and beyond, so there will be opportunities for gain. The loss rate is significant now, so I'd close and watch carefully.

You may know all about this in which case sorry, but you can use moving averages. This is free on Yahoo:

1710637608203.png

I've added moving averages with periods set to 20 purple and 50 green.
This is uber simplified, but usually it works:
Buy when the price IS RISING, AND it goes up through the 20 and preferably the 50 as well. Sellling is easier to pick, but you could say when it comes back down through the 20.
You can alter the periods and add another moving average which makes it more efficient.
You can often eyeball how much momentum there is on the price as it approaches or crosses a line.
There are lots of other indicators too, which you'd have to read about.

If you fine-tune the indicators you can get them to guide when to buy the pullbacks on a falling trend, but that's much more error-prone, so I usually avoid it.

Your availability makes a big difference especially if you can't put a stop-loss in which will sell at a (lower) price if reached. You can't leave this thing for a day then come back to see what's happened.

I looked at crypto.com but as I haven't registered I didn't get to see their charts. I see they have Alerts.

Stop-losses alone can be evil. They can stop you out on a spike, where the stuff is sold at a low price. Most spikes come back very quickly. You don't want them permanently lurking 5% below the price, cos you end up constantly losing 5%.

You have to put them very low so they only get hit if Donald Trump says he's going to ban it or something. If the price is doing nothing I'd probably sell, and set a price alsert for a price rise which would be a buy point.

The holy grail position is where you buy at 5, the price is at 8 and you can put the SL at 6 and nor worry about it. If it stops you out at 6 , well, the price might have dropped to 4 and you stopped it. You have to be able to put a positive spin on things because you will NEVER get it ideal.

AFAIR eToro has a trailing stop-loss, which puts a catch-the-price stop-loss under the current price by a dollar amount you set. If you chose $500, then the stuff would sell if the price dropped 500 below the highest it had been. So the stoploss price ratchets up. TRicky to the the "distance" right.

Last edited:
Well the mighty bitcoin is on the rise again this afternoon. As good a time as many to buy again.. Don't let it drop more than you've decided in advance, to let it!

Don't do what I do , which is keep forgetting.
eToro has some facilities which are useful despite it having a bit of a "noddy" reputation. They are improving it. Day traders get one-click ordering now.
This is what I'd forgotten. Looking atthe charts I could have sold better, but here's a good rise: (It's not that careless, stops would have operated and alerts gone off if it had gone south)
1710692198460.png

So it's up about 97, but it's only those cheap US kdollar things.
The numbers were changing as I took the screenshot hence the greyed one.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back