Stone Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm mid way through a refit of my front room.

Where the fireplace has been removed there is an arch. At the base of the arch the previous occupants placed a piece of marble approximately 1mx30cmx3cm. This forms a sort of fake hearth and looks pretty good, at least in principle.

This stone has been stained and chipped and is in fairly poor condition. It's also a particularly offensive shade of pink.

I am trying to replace it with either a piece of marble of a better colour or a bit of granite. The trouble is my local stone merchant says that they only do granite and that their minimum order is £250.

Does anyone here have any thoughts about:

a) The suitability of different types of stone for this purpose (Granite, Marble, something else?)

b) and perhaps more importantly ... where I might source such stone at a sensible price. (I live in Birmingham but I am prepared to travel a bit.

Thanks guys.
M

Sponsored Links
If you don't mind a darker colour, you could go for slate. Its a fraction of the price of marble and you can normally find it at around 3cm thick. Just make sure that when you select a piece that it's fairly smooth on the facing side.

Thats a good point.

I ordered a bit of granite this morning. Collecting it tomorrow. £150!! ackk!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back