Stone resin shower tray fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a low level stone resin tray to install. It is on a wooden floor first floor. The floor is green chipboard, screwed down every few inches. The drain is fitted below and routed through a reinforced joist. My question is does the tray need to go on a mortar mix? Or can it go straight on the boards? I have read various threads, the tray is very level on the bottom side.
Also as it's a low level tray and the waste is below the floor does this need to have access? If so how can this be achieved? The floor is to have click fit laminate fitted. I was going to sort out the waste and test for leaks and set at the correct level for the shower tray. Then place tray on top and screw in the top part sealing with plumbers gold. I have seen the waste fitted first and the lowered in to place and then connected up. Which is the best method?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Your tray doesn't have to be bedded on mortar, but it does ideally need to be bedded down on some sort of cushioning compound......I was assured by the Mira rep that a good bed of silicone would be just fine, and he was right.
As for the drain, fix the rose in tightly with silicone before the tray is lowered into place and use solvent weld fittings for the rest of the pipe work. Access can be a real nightmare - I used my own tray for a week before being convinced it was leak free and sealing it up. Make an access hatch if you can!
John :)

Hi thanks for the advice when you say a bed of silicon, does that mean a tube of it piped over the base? My drain has screw fixings, I was going to fit this via a flexabile fitting with a solvent fit on one end.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Yep, a good squidge of silicone is needed wherever the tray contacts the floor.
Use a quality waste, preferably one which is held in place with a screw in the centre. Avoid flexible wastes if possible - the corrugations do hold on to crap like hair and soap etc.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back