Stonework Damage During New Window Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just had new windows installed in my home, and overall I am happy with the work, which was done by a reputable local company. However the other day I noticed some stonework had been damaged during the installation and I am just wondering whether this is something I should contact them about. I am wondering if it could cause water ingress during rainfall for example.

Below is a photo of the damage - I presume it must have happened during removal of old window frame. Is this a common problem during window installation ?

Any advice appreciated thanks

Damaged stonework -

Undamaged stonework on other window -

Sponsored Links
I'd certainly have them back. From the pictures, they've installed plastic windows.

Cheers
Richard

I can see the brick in behind so its just damaged render not stonework.
Yes some damage to render or plaster is quite common when removing a window but they should have made good.

When they do come back make sure they use yellow sand and dont let them fob you off with red unless they dye it grey. You wont get a perfect color match as it will take a few years to weather in.

Sponsored Links
As it stands could any leakage of rain get into this area ?

I am hoping this is not likely to be a problem and the sealing applied is sufficient.

All in all the company has been very helpful throughout, and I've no reason to distrust them or be awkward with them.

In the Window Installation Contract the Window Installer cannot accept responsibility for damage to internal plasterwork or external rendering that is due to an existing defect - and in my case I think there could have been some existing fracture, as a neighboring area had a crack in it.

All I need to know is is it fully waterproofed as it is?

They have sealed most of it so its nothing urgent but if it was left like that through the winter frost and ice could damage the render further.

Ideally they should pop out within a couple of weeks when they are passing but as long as it is done before the freezing weather starts to kick in it shouldn't cause any problems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back