Stop rust on decorative panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mil has ourchased a decorative metal thing for other half to be fitted to a wall
But it’s rusty
I’m looking for suggestions on how to seal the rust without spoiling the thing
So when on the painted rendered wall we don’t get rust streaks all down the wall

I have looked at some laquers on Screwfix etc

Thanks

Attachments

• B75E8F14-9754-49A0-BEE4-2C11CA2FE1E7.jpeg
    B75E8F14-9754-49A0-BEE4-2C11CA2FE1E7.jpeg
    617.2 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
I'd go for a thorough wire brushing, a coat of Kurust rust killer - which will turn the rust black - followed by some anti rust primer by Rustoleum and then an aerosol top coat.
Rustoleum products seem to be rather better than Hammerite for example in my opinion, but nothing is a miracle cure!
John :)

Thanks for reply

I have used KuRust last year on a garage door and it did colour the rust which is likely to spoil the item , as you say the rust will turn a different colour and unfortunately that was part of the appeal and colouring !!!!!!!!!

I was hoping for something perhaps Metal wall Sculpture's may use s this must be an issue

I was thinking of using same Boiled Linseed Oil which i have a loads of - and maybe that would need re-applying every years, which she can do!!!!!

So really it was just to seal up the rust , so as soon as it rains then the rust will bleed over the White/cream rendered wall she wants it fitted to - I will try and space it off the wall by 25mm

Something like 2K automotive clear coat may work. It’s potentially nasty so take care.
you can buy it in aerosol but use PPE

there’s a custom car/ bike trend for rust to be used as a patina effect under lacquer

Sponsored Links
i'm not sure - it was purchased from an expensive nursery in Essex, and cost around £70

I saw a few smaller decorative things yesterday, with a similar patten, of rust , when visiting the mother-in-law and they had the same rust spots - so now , you have made me think, I'm wondering if the rust points are part of the decoration !!!! and NOT actually real rust.
Its home now , so i can have a better look

I rubbed my finger over them before wrapping up to come home , and nothing came off

Did the others in the shop have a similar pattern? It just seems bizarre they would sell something that's just gonna go rusty. It's surely meant to be used as an outdoor thing?

they only had some very very small items , not a plate like this - almost like a small box, but very similar - should have taken more notice - I was asking the store manager if they had a problem with rust on this type of thing, they said no , and no idea how to seal
So now i'm beginning to wonder if its rust

I'll look now

I'd find local sand blasting and powder coating place and ask. Plenty of then about.

Or make vinegar bath and stick in for a few days.

I'd find local sand blasting and powder coating place and ask. Plenty of then about.
really,
I’m looking for suggestions on how to seal the rust without spoiling the thing
how would that retain colour, and the decorative paint/art on the item ?
Thanks for the suggestion, but not really the solution I'm after
it was just simply to
So when on the painted rendered wall we don’t get rust streaks all down the wall

oh well, after discussion this morning and deciding exactly where on the wall to place

She has chosen to linseed oil , as we already have a lot of that , and then see how we get on

thanks for all the advice and ideas,
she has decided if a problem, she will just hammerite it all black !!!!!!!
So we may be doing this after all -
£70 for a bit of metal , where i thought the only attraction was all the colouring etc

Probably been able to get a plain one for a few quid at a garden show we are going to in a few weeks !!!!!! Stanstead , near Havant on the 10th June
oh well

thanks everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back