Stop splinters / roughness in oak handrail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Keen DIYer here - have recently purchased some planed American white oak to use as a handrail up the stairs....

The wood, despite being planed, is still a little bit rough to run your hand up. So I would like ideas on how to make it smooth enough to stop splinters and not feel rough please...?

I was thinking of sanding it with fine paper (grade?) And then if necessary after that, using a clear matte varnish...

Does that sound like the best plan or is there a better option please?

Sponsored Links
what does the grain do it needs to be fairly strait to give the handrail strength do you have a picture off the effected areas top on[assuming its roughness on the sides] to see what the grain is doing ??

also is it a well seasoned bit off oak or fairly green ??

Hi mate,

It came from a timber merchants so not sure what you mean about it being seasoned / green, but it certainly doesn't look green at all and the grain seems very straight.

The splinters / roughness is mainly on the corner edges but it didn't photograph well to show you sorry.

Attachments

• 1435522705015-1798218580.jpg
    1435522705015-1798218580.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 135
Sponsored Links
ahh ok i had a picture off a traditional handrail off 3x2 or similar rather than a plank

you could round off the edges and sand as you say and varnish will help seal

green rather than a colour just mean new not fully seasoned likely to still settle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back