stop tap in reverse.

Sponsored Links
Talking of Arrows, any one want to guess what the arrow on the cheap isolating valves denotes.

Direction of flow so you don't blow the circlip/ball out.

Close Seco but not quite right.

The arrow points to the end that can safely be disconnected if the pipework is under pressure, otherwise you could turn the valve off undo the nut and the ball will fly out.

The arrow points to the end that can safely be disconnected if the pipework is under pressure, otherwise you could turn the valve off undo the nut and the ball will fly out.
But if the valve is put in reverse, your still getting wet!
As you will be removing the end that is not closed/isolated!

Sponsored Links
Assume you have a length of pipe with an isolating valve in the middle.

You want to work on the pipe so you turn the valve off and intend to drain the end you want to work on.

But the arrow is pointing to the opposite end, therefore if yo drain the section you want to work on, leaving the other end under pressure, the little ball will fly out.

Yes the direction of flow arrows does help to indicate which side would be safe to open after isolation but also, if you look inside the service valve one end has a strange shaped partially coned perforated metal disc(best I can describe it sorry) which apparently has something to do with water hammer....if the ISO is shut while water is flowing is softens the back pressure not 100% sure, researched it when I was an apprentice and keen as mustard!

if you look inside the service valve one end has a strange shaped partially coned perforated metal disc
We do cheap imported Chinese, reasonably priced Italian and ridiculously priced real McCoy Ballofix isolating/service valves. None of them has anything like what you describe.

Sounds more like an in-line filter. Doubtfull if that would have any effect on water hammer, although it would affect the flow rate.

I'll upload some pictures tonight its not a filter, if I couldn't tell the difference between an in-line filter and whatever this is I shouldn't be doing plumbing, 4years of college wasted.lol.

Assume you have a length of pipe with an isolating valve in the middle.

You want to work on the pipe so you turn the valve off and intend to drain the end you want to work on.

But the arrow is pointing to the opposite end, therefore if yo drain the section you want to work on, leaving the other end under pressure, the little ball will fly out.
But if you are wanting to work on this length of pipe with service valve in the middle. And you don't know the direction of flow, you would isolate it then disconnect the nut the arrow is pointing to, would you not? thus getting wet, but no blow out! If you disconnected the other end "your a crazy fool"

if I couldn't tell the difference between an in-line filter and whatever this is I shouldn't be doing plumbing, 4years of college wasted.lol.
Hmm, you'd be surprised st some of the questions we get asked by supposedly qualified plumbers, heating engineers and mech services engineers!!

I see what you are referring to in your pictures.
It's a sprung ring. It will be pushed in so that it slots in behind a ridge or into a groove to hold the ball in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back