stop tap question - please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

just moved into my first house and after ripping the kitchen out there appears to be a problem with the stop tap / incoming water feed.

The water is off, and the cold taps dont work - so thats ok, but when we disconnected the hot tap in the kitchen, the water keeps coming. A friend says it could be storage water built up in the emersion heater that needs draining off?

I'm pretty clusless with plumbing so any help at all before i call a plumber out would be much appreciated.

thanx

Sponsored Links
Do you have a hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard? If so it is most likely to be fed from a tank in the loft. Look for a pipe that feeds cold water to the base of your cylinder, and there should be a gate valve or stop tap to turn this water off.

If you can't find a stop tap here you could simply run the hot water until the tank in the loft is empty: it won't refil as your cold mains is off.

You will lose your hot water though.

If you have a combi boiler the hot water should go off pretty much instantly with the cold.

If you have an unvented cylinder there will be a certain amount of water to drain off before the flow stops.

Do you have a hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard? If so it is most likely to be fed from a tank in the loft. Look for a pipe that feeds cold water to the base of your cylinder, and there should be a gate valve or stop tap to turn this water off.

If you can't find a stop tap here you could simply run the hot water until the tank in the loft is empty: it won't refil as your cold mains is off.

You will lose your hot water though.

If you have a combi boiler the hot water should go off pretty much instantly with the cold.

If you have an unvented cylinder there will be a certain amount of water to drain off before the flow stops.

thanx Dave, yes mate there is a hot water cylinder in a cupboard in the bedroom, ill have a look for the valve for this. Either that or i'll just let the water run out until its empty.

oh, just remebered another quick question, so its not likely to be a problem with the stop tap then? Another friend said I will need to hire a pipe freezer and replace the stop tap, so basically, what im asking is the way that the hot water keeps coming out normal and unlikely the stop tap is faulty?

Sponsored Links
Leakydave will be right. However if tou do have a problem with the stop tap (I assume that you mean the internal one).There should be another one outside the house, which you will turn off to replace the internal one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back