Stop using plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My local milkman now supplies milk in returnable glass bottles. Costs a little more but saves plastic. My wife and I (and the dog) used to have 3 2litre plastic containers per week, now - none. If 2 people can save 3 plastic containers a week how much waste plastic would it save if the supermarkets sold milk in returnable glass bottles, or more people used local milkmen (or milkwomen). Just for interest in a little town like Liskeard, Cornwall we have a least two milk delivery persons delivering glass bottles so there must be a market for more in large towns.

Sponsored Links
My local milkman now supplies milk in returnable glass bottles. Costs a little more but saves plastic. My wife and I (and the dog) used to have 3 2litre plastic containers per week, now - none. If 2 people can save 3 plastic containers a week how much waste plastic would it save if the supermarkets sold milk in returnable glass bottles, or more people used local milkmen (or milkwomen). Just for interest in a little town like Liskeard, Cornwall we have a least two milk delivery persons delivering glass bottles so there must be a market for more in large towns.

Liskeard"s a lovely town.. My girls don't have straws now with their take away drinks. I have a re-fillerble container for my water. We will get better as I'm sure the rest of the country will

Don't forget to vote

Why are people always taken in by this schitt? It's what the powers that be give the little people to worry about. Endless things for those with no problems to spend their days fretting over.Before it was the ozone layer, and carrier bags, etc, etc Now its sugar so they can raise tax and plastic in general.

Can't people see that we're a consumer society, growing our population and consuming ever more. If people stopped consuming and thus creating waste, the powers would cack themselves. They tell us to consume less, yet want ever greater growth. And they keep growing the population to make matters even worse.

Don't fall for it!

You both may be well-intentioned regarding the environment but it wasn't really up to us whether the milk cames only in plastic bottles or they didn't make paper straws, was it?

Tax the little people for big business mistakes.

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is no harm in making an effort. And what have got to think is don't forget to vote.

How do you make an effort if milk is only available in plastic bottles?

How many LED bulbs do I have to buy so they can hold the Singapore Grand Prix In the dark?

Big plastic cartons for milk are not as much an issue due to their size, it's the smaller stuff that needs to be replaced,Cotton buds(stems) & straws were made of paper before so going back to it would be a start.Micro beads have been banned, polystyrene should be also. As always, it all comes down to money, are people prepared to pay more? How much water & energy is used to clean the glass bottles? Surely that has an impact on the environment.

My local milkman now supplies milk in returnable glass bottles
What do you mean by "now"? Was it previously supplied in metal churns? It's always been glass hasn't it?

Anyhow, the news I had a year or so ago was that milk bottles were only now being made in one or maybe two factories in the UK and was becoming unviable to produce to replace breakages and cleaning was a probelm too, so that these were to be phased out in favaour of cartons - plastic or card.

Our milkman now uses a small transit type van, as its even now uneconomic to use the traditional floats. Stopped using floats less than a year ago.

Returnable glass milk bottles , now that is a ground breaking new idea ,
maybe someone will suggest using paper bags to carry items in and wrap food items in greaseproof paper !!!!!!

Returnable glass milk bottles , now that is a ground breaking new idea ,
maybe someone will suggest using paper bags to carry items in and wrap food items in greaseproof paper !!!!!!

Some times old ideas are the best ideas

Plastic piping in the domestic plumbing / heating industry , millions of miles of it are used

Boilers most are predominantly plastic now

Cars ?? the east German Travant :LOL: mind u corvettes have been fibre glass since 1953 :cool:

It's very hard to not use plastic when the supermarkets we buy our food from wrap the products in it.
Stop buying that product some say - they will soon learn, in the mean time I go hungry and they still sell their products in non recyclable plastic.

If our plastic goes into the recycling scheme then it should be reused and OK, however how does all this plastic end up on the beaches etc. ? Because lazy arses throw it away, so its not really a case of stop using plastic but be more responsible in disposing of it.

Sponsored Links
Back