Stopcock. 2 taps on same feed, the 1st needs replacing rough cost?

Are you certain it's not just the top stopcock dripping through the gland nut?

That's what I said as well newboy, you can see a drip on the top stopcock,looks like money might be wasted there,you and I know, say if a wc is leaking they always say it's from the pan connector when usually the water is dripping down on to it.

Sponsored Links
Checked the outside stopcock. It has a water meter in it + a tap. Turned it off and it reduced the flow considerably but not totally cut the flow off.

I'll let you know what happens....
You need to get onto the water co. It's their responsibility to enable you to shut off the water completely.

Good news! No more leaking/flooding in the kitchen :).

I think I'll re-visit my insurance options again....

This is what they did in the end:
20160315_010737.jpg
20160315_010746.jpg

The earth wire connection looks a bit suspect though !!!

It looks like it is just twisted on the pipe rather than the proper connector.

65778_P

Sponsored Links
Except that red flagged bonding strap are designated for areas not subject to moisture (looks a bit damp at the back that cupboard)

Green flagged bonding straps are for areas subject to moisture/corrosive environments.

And one day I'll take the time to find out what the differences in construction of the bonding straps are!:unsure:

Funnilly enough, had to find out about that a while back when doing my Part P (DS). Doesn't seem to be any standard that mentions them but believe the general take is:

Red is Dry
Blue is Wet + Corrosive
Green is Wet + Corrosive with larger bonding connector (16mm2)

Wonder if there's any electrical chaps that can confirm if there is a standard?

It was a union nut on the stopcock ;) How much did they charge? Was it around £87.50 like Agile:mrgreen:

Except that red flagged bonding strap are designated for areas not subject to moisture (looks a bit damp at the back that cupboard)

Green flagged bonding straps are for areas subject to moisture/corrosive environments.

And one day I'll take the time to find out what the differences in construction of the bonding straps are!:unsure:

Well one learns something new everyday !!

thanks for that information, I just thought an earth bonding strap was just what it says on the label, ( times do change)
The Earth bonding cable looks a bit dodgy as well, being wet I would have thought it could rust and break off, especially as it appears just to be twisted onto the lead pipe.

I`ve just looked in my Tool Box and found two Earth Bonding straps that are plain silver ( No Colour)
am I still allowed to use them, or would I be Incarcerated in Prison for life !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back