stopcock fix help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I got a leaky tap. Then when I tried to turn off the mains stopcock and replace the washer, suddenly realised the stopcock under the kitchen sink is not the normal ones. It seems the handle was broken and the previous owner didn't fix it.

Could anyone help me actually with two questions:

1. I hope I can find an outside stopcock to turn the supply off. But not sure if the water company would allow me to operate that one? Also, if I couldn't find it, could I ring the water company to ask for the location?

2. Then I think I will get the inside stopcock fixed. can you give me a figure as to how much it normally costs to replace or repair one?

While I am here, quickly pose another question:
how much does it cost nowdays to replace a kitchen water tap? I mean the whole lot including seating. do I have to replace both taps if it is a mixer type?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Stoptap should be in front of your house if your lucky, or it may be outside one of your neighbours. Look along the street if there is a box outside every house then you will only turn off the supply to your property, if there is a box outside ,say every 4th or 5th then you will be on a communal supply & will shut them all off. Even if this is the case you are still allowed to use the stoptap, just let your neighbours know. by the way the stoptap is usually in a cast iron box about 4" square.

& if it's just the handle broken you can close it with a pair of grips.

Sponsored Links
In these current hard times, water companies are so busy fixing their own leaks, they no longer give a toss about yours! The external stopvalve outside the house is THEIRS, not yours, and if it doesn't work / isn't there at all, it's none of your business. Sadly, OFWAT actually support the companies in this policy!

So if your internal stopvalve breaks or needs replacing, you will be extremely fortunate if you have an external one that works - be VERY gentle with it and it might carry on working. If there is no valve or it's broken, better to get a pro in to freeze your supply pipe and fit a new internal valve.

The way to get an external valve that will CONTINUE to work is to request a meter. You get a new valve thrown in for free!

Not all suppliers are always this bad - southern water, for example, to stop people breaking their street cocks, will come and make the jammed street isolator to your property operable for free, it takes about a week, and they leave you a post card when it is done. Assuming THEy can find it of course....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back