Stopcock hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a new washing machine, which I want to connect up. However, my stopcock is stuck (really stuck). The problem is that the water can not be turned off from the outside of the house either as this is stuck as well. What do I do now? Any ideas? Apart from cry and use soap and a wash board to clean my clothes forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
contact waterboard who may charge tell them you are having work done and you need to change your internal stopcock.they should come and free/isolate it. failing that get a competant plumber to do it for you

try WD 40 on the internal stopcock, leave a while then try a sharp but light tap with a hammer, definitely no beating !! It may just free it. Very common problem, you should always give your stopcock a bit of a pull once in a while, if you know what I mean :!: Otherwise, yes a water board job.

As Eddie M said, try a few applications of WD40 on the spindle of the internal stockcock. Leave it overnight to penetrate. If it still won't budge, as an alternative to hitting it, a bit of heat applied to the spindle may help - a hairdryer on a high heat setting held close for a few minutes is good for this.

If you live in a hard water area you may find some water has slipped past the gland and has left a calcium deposit around the base of the spindle which will make it really difficult to turn. If this is the case and you know what you're doing, you could try using a bit of descaling fluid to break up the scale.

If the scale is really bad, Spirit of Salts (a solution of hydrochloric acid used for cleaning concrete) will get rid of it almost instantly but beware it is VERY VERY CORROSIVE so use gloves, eye protection and protect the surrounding area. Both need washing off afterwards.

If you're not sure in any way, it's always best to call in the professionals.

Sponsored Links
this has worked in the past undo the gland nut (under the handle)
then apply some heat to the spindle then squirt copious amounts of wd in the gland then try to turn handle with 8" adjustable once you get it to move rock it back and forth
sometimes works
once you get it free replace nut :D

Sooner or later you're going to need a new stopcock - so I'd say change it or get it changed now! You or a.n.other would freeze the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back