Stopcock question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to turn off my stopcock to see if I've got a leak as my water bills are too high. I've located it and turned it off, but water is running still, toilet flushing etc - just filled my sink, 2 9L buckets and flushed toilet. There is actually another partly obscured tap very near to it - could that be the stopcock, if so what's the tap I've turned off (under my sink). The one I haven't turned yet seems like it might be a bit trickier to turn (or I would have tried it already!).

Sponsored Links
1. There, typically, will also be a stop-cock outside at or near your property line. You could isolate the water service from there while you attempt to sort out the main, interior stop-cock.

2. Do you have a water meter?

3. Is there a drain-off on either of the iso's you've located so far? That one would probably be the main one.

Sponsored Links
1. There, typically, will also be a stop-cock outside at or near your property line. You could isolate the water service from there while you attempt to sort out the main, interior stop-cock.

2. Do you have a water meter?

3. Is there a drain-off on either of the iso's you've located so far? That one would probably be the main one.

There's a big manhole outside my house with CATV written on it...

Yes I do have a water meter.

Sorry, I don't know what a drain off is. I've got two taps connected to a water pipe. The one I've turned off is on a horizontal bit of pipe, the one I can't turn off is almost at floor level about 10 inches from the first one, connected to the same bit of pipe, but vertically, as the pipe bends at 90 degrees close to where I've turned off tap 1.

CATV is for cable tv not your stopcock.

The one near the floor is more likley the one you need.
Got a pic ?

Problem solved, I've just turned the stopcock back the other way, and now water is off, seems stopcock wasn't fully turned on when I tried to turn it off, so I'd just assumed I had turned it from on to off when I hadn't!

Leaves me with the question, should it be turned fully on when on? Why would a plumber leave it half turned on?

Thanks for you assistance.

Problem solved, I've just turned the stopcock back the other way, and now water is off, seems stopcock wasn't fully turned on when I tried to turn it off, so I'd just assumed I had turned it from on to off when I hadn't!

Leaves me with the question, should it be turned fully on when on? Why would a plumber leave it half turned on?

Thanks for you assistance.

If its left fully turned on it can seize up, turn on then a half turn back, (also depends on pressure of water) .

1. You would be best to locate the external stop-cock, you will need it , often in an emergency. It will be found near to the property line, just inside or outside the property. The hose-bib (with hose pipe attached) is not an isolation stop-cock.

2. Close all taps, leave open the main stop-cocks, and observe the meter for movement ( ref. your original query regarding a possible leak ). No movement, no leak. If obvious movement observed then come back here.

3. I dont understand your "Problem solved" solution. But if it does indeed shut the water off, all well and good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back