Stopcock - Repacking - Advanced - Graphite Rope / Nylon repacking

Is this really such a rarity - or maybe its a lost skill?

Neither I don't think, I think the design of the gland is such that it would be considered to be a non serviceable part and by the time it would need refurbished, that replacement of the whole tap would be the logical choice.

As it is PTFE tape has been found as a repair that works, however long it may last for. Personally, I have found that the more the tap is used the less time the repair lasts for.

Sponsored Links
Would be interested on fellow members views/comments on this:

I'm curious where I could purchase appropriate gland repacking material in the UK?

(Don't trust ordinary ptfe tape to last long).

Sponsored Links
Our taps are different, the packing material in our taps is at the bottom of the body of the tap, not in the nut, that being said the newer taps do use graphite material to form the gland. You can get 3.2mm graphite or PTFE packing material on fleebay, not sure how it would fair though.

Some older taps are different though and use a ball and cup design, the ball being part of the spindle and the cup is in the nut and tap body. Once that's worn then the tap is scrap unfortunately.

1. As others have said, doing anything other than PTFE wrapping is economically pointless.
2. You could, if you had a lathe:
2a. Put the valve spindle in the lathe, get it running true or use an accurate collet chuck
2b. Clean up the diameter as far as possible while leaving splines / flats for handle attachment untouched or at least usable.
2c. Polish the spindle plain diameter.
2d. Get hold of some virgin Teflon rod, say 10mm diameter or more than whatever is needed to fit the bore of the tap body.
2e. Drill out to the OD of the valve spindle less say 0.5 mm.
2f. Turn down the OD to fit the valve body bore.
2g. Part off to required length.
2h. Fit Teflon sleeve to valve and screw down gland nut.
3. Personally, I'd prefer to shut the valve, remove the gland nut, clean / polish the spindle as far as possible, PTFE wrap, replace gland nut, test and finish. Cheaper, quicker, and uses the same material.
4. You can get graphited yarn from model engine suppliers. As far as I'm aware its not WRAS approved so shouldn't be used on potable water fittings.

Just about everything is available in the US and if there's a market they will sell it. More call over there to repair rather than replace though too methinks.

As linked to, you can get the valve packing over here. I wouldn't worry too much about WRAS approval as graphite and PTFE is relatively inert when it comes to water so I wouldn't think there's much concern over water contamination. That and graphite and PTFE seals are already used in WRAS approved products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back