STOPCOCK SEIZED:

Ours is knackered, after the Water Board replaced our outside stop tap I shut the water off and fitted a full bore stop tap further up.

Interesting you can rebuild the tap without removing the body, would like to have a go at that at some point BUT would be a nightmare if I couldn't get it watertight again!.

Sponsored Links
Ours is knackered, after the Water Board replaced our outside stop tap I shut the water off and fitted a full bore stop tap further up.

Interesting you can rebuild the tap without removing the body, would like to have a go at that at some point BUT would be a nightmare if I couldn't get it watertight again!.

Sponsored Links
Keith, you could do it blindfolded with one arm tied behind your back.

Andy

The tap is probably 30 or 40 years old (maybe more!), are they a standard size?. The main feed into the house hasn't got a lot of length before the tap so I don't fancy removing the body if I can avoid it.

The tap is probably 30 or 40 years old (maybe more!), are they a standard size?. The main feed into the house hasn't got a lot of length before the tap so I don't fancy removing the body if I can avoid it.

You've got the board's external tap so go for it... You can always lube the existing and put it back in if you have grief.

Edit: buy a decent British standard one and you'll be fine. Look at BES rather than screwfix.

really looking forward to the photo.

Try changing one of these...

IMG_20191213_132432.jpg

Thanks to all for the advice/ info. It's def not a gatevalve!

Andy - you didn't reveal the secret of getting it working!

Dilalio - with your grip, remind me not to shake hands! I'm sure you've done worse jobs - I've seen lots of videos that make my plumbing look respectable! But as I said earlier, I'd certainly like to rationalise mine, starting at the mains stopcock, or better still outside and upstream of the stopcock. I've posted before about my toilet inlet - the pipe emerges from the wall to a lead joint onto a very short length of stainless steel pipe. At the other end it was a nut and fibre washer coupling plus hemp and bosswhite. I wanted to replace the ballvalve, should've been a 10 minutes job - sounds simple but for various reasons it wasn't.

Regards.

Even pullergas was a bit wary about that wiped lead joint and said young plumbers would definitely be puzzled. Dilalio - you responded on that occasion too but only to have a go at pullergas!

Even pullergas was a bit wary about that wiped lead joint and said young plumbers would definitely be puzzled. Dilalio - you responded on that occasion too but only to have a go at pullergas!

Dick Puller was last seen loitering around the Plumber's Arms ;)

Here's a photo of the offending stopcock. Access is actually more awkward than the photo suggests and the adjacent pipework/fittings don't inspire confidence to interfere. The right hand nut on the stopcock is actually hard against the copper pipe in front, the pipe would have to be temporarily removed to get a spanner on it.

Attachments

• IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    415.1 KB · Views: 96

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back