STOPCOCK SEIZED:

Undo the gland nut and lift up, spray loads of penetrating lubricant. eg wd40, plus gas or anything else you hand. Leave for a couple of hours, then try and turn the handle 1/8 of a turn back and forth. Then hopefully you can turn it a bit more in both directions, keep going until you can completely turn it off. Then open all the way and close 1/2 turn.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy. I was aware of that method and saw it again in the videos you linked to me. But I was thinking to (hopefully) open the gland nut just a little initially and see if that eases the tap.

Regards.

Yes, thanks for that - although I think it would be Mission Impossible to get at the innards. Think it's usually been fastened by Hercules and would need someone with Dilalio's grip to undo (he'd use his bare hands!). I've actually got an old spare stopcock I tried to undo out of curiosity but I couldn't with my biggest spanners (and I'm not so limp-wristed!).

Regards.

Sponsored Links
Remove the saddle handle, Get some heat onto it and get a long socket over it. It'll come off and you have replace the guts.

But I'd be willing to bet you'll get that stuffing gland cleared and eased as Andy wrote.

Not actually sure it's a detachable handle? - but I think Andy's method is the (safest) way to go. The tap actually turns about 1/8th back and forth but no more - I think the gland nut needs more loosening but it's awkward and also angled towards the wall. I'm sure you'd immediately dismantle some of the pipework to the waste disposal unit to gain better access but I tend to hold back - I've had a lot of "simple" jobs go pear-shaped in this house! Partly my incompetence and partly ancient, decrepit fittings. Just for fun I had a go at an old spare stopcock but didn't give it any heat treatment - but there's not mole grips strong enough to hold it while you use a spanner on it to get at the innards, a bench vice would be better (mine's clamped on a workmate). When I want some more fun I'll give it the heat treatment!
Even if I can't sort this myself you've all passed on some useful advice and info so thanks.

Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back