Stopping drafts while skirts are off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Prepping for a new parquet floor being laid over the suspended wooden ground floor.

Now the skirts are off, I have a chance to block the gap between the floorboards and wall before the ply is laid.

I was originally considering something like compriband (until I saw the cost per m and the number of m I need to fill)

What would you suggest?

Thinking either:

-Low expansion expanding foam
-Stuffing loft insulation
-Caulk

Any clever suggestions?

Attachments

• 20230122_185317.jpg
    20230122_185317.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230122_185339.jpg
    20230122_185339.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230122_185355.jpg
    20230122_185355.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
You can stuff loft insulation into the gap. For bext results lift the floorboards and fill the gap between the joists (but not airbricks) and the wall

Use the soft brown mineral wool treated with Ecose (it will be marked on the packaging) which does nor shed irritang dust or fibres. It is made by Knauf but widely sold as an own-brand.

Before fitting the new cover is the best time to take up floorboards, clean out airbricks, remove rubbish, insulate pipes and run any wiring you might need for sockets, phones, LAN, speakers, alarm or aerial, and go repair or screw down any boards that need it.

Cheers @JohnD
I thought as much.

Have been busy - new radiators and replaced / insulated all central heating pipes.
Added spurs so there's a sane number of sockets in each room.
Cat 6 laid.
Alarm cabled moved
New water main in.
Air bricks cleaned.

Just the pesky gaps to sort

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back