Stopping kid play with electric window switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I've just got a piece of wood gaffer taped over the switch to stop three yr old playing with switch and throwing stuff out of window. He can pull tape off. Any better idea? I can control window myside
1532435881679322553222.jpg

Sponsored Links
For a professional look...
Buy a second switch from eBay.
Leave the 'real' switch connected, but hidden behind the door card (if you don't, control from your side won't work any more)
Install the new 'fake' switch into the door card, which, of course, now does nothing at all.

Half-assed approach...
The same could be achieved by cutting and joining some of the wires behind the passenger switch, but you'd need some wiring diagrams or spend a fair amount of time with a multimeter. You can't just 'do away' with the switch, it won't work from your side.

What car is it? You might be able to buy just a switch (i.e. easy to cram behind door card), or might need to buy it with the black plastic surround.

Last edited:
Can you not just disable the rear window controls? On my Q5, the button at the bottom here disables the rear so the switches there do nothing, for the exact reason you are talking about.

2018-audi-q5-20t-quattro-prestige.png

Sponsored Links
looking at a manual online (with tiny print)
it looks as if the passenger window has a separate fuse to the drivers?
It also controls the mirrors though.

Maybe add a switch to your side? if the passenger mirror stops working when you disconnect YOUR switch?
you could add the switch to give you control.

Plan B
MITTENS

I'm with Freedy, a bit more parental control.

DON'T TOUCH THE SWITCH, DO NOT THROW ANYTHING OUT THE WINDOW!

Wait until he's a teenager, that's when they want to fight back.

Andy

Would putting no nails with a bit of wood over the top of switch be a stupid idea?

Would putting no nails with a bit of wood over the top of switch be a stupid idea?

Well, the switch and possibly door handle will be ruined, you'll never get it off cleanly in the future...

So, if you're quite happy just to damage it anyway, cut out a piece of plastic (even an ice cream tub lid would do) to match the sort of 'domed-triangle' shape and drive 3 short self drilling screws in!! There's not a lot to them, you won't hit/damage anything underneath with the screws...

s-l1600.jpg

Try disconnecting that switch, and see if you can control the window from your side.....some allow this, some don't.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back