Storage Heater MCB rating

So by that logic, had the main wiring been 2.5 mm2 (and for arguments sake the flex in 1.5 mm2) we would still be satisfied that the RCBO was 32 amp?

Sponsored Links
The largest heater is 3.4kw what are the others ? And should they be fitted with FCU's ?

DS :eek:

So by that logic, had the main wiring been 2.5 mm2 (and for arguments sake the flex in 1.5 mm2) we would still be satisfied that the RCBO was 32 amp?
I think so (even possibly with 1.5mm² fixed wiring, if Zs was low enough - see below) - provided that one is happy that the load is "not likely to resulting an overload" and provided that Zs is low enough to satisfy fault protection requirements - since one can then invoke one of the bits of 433.3.1. (sorry, away from regs - so can't tell you which bit!)

However, although some people (like EFLI) are seemingly great proponents of this regulation, I suspect that many others may be nervous about it - and also that it can potentially result in hassle when the EICR man comes along, if he is not 'fully clued up'!

Kind Regards, John

The largest heater is 3.4kw what are the others ? And should they be fitted with FCU's ?

DS :eek:

2 are 2.55kw and one is 1.7kw. They are Alto, and were new when fitted 18 months ago.

It was the fact that I noticed the 32amp MCBs in conjunction with no fused outlets, just switched outlets, that worried me in the first place.

Sponsored Links
As we've discussed before, if you are concerned that the load may create an overload, that makes sense - but (unless MIs complicate the issue) the regs do not require it, being perfectly happy so long as the cables are adequately protected (and, as I've just written, not even requiring overload protection of the cables if one judges that overload is "unlikley").

As I've asked before, what OPD do you feel would be appropriate for a lighting circuit supplying, say, just 30W worth of LED lighting?

Kind Regards, John

The fuses in FCU's will only heat up and cause problems.

And we know the MCB is highly likely to trip before a fuse will blow (in the case of B16, B20, B32)

Leave it alone. The mans done a lovely job

I would check what the manufacturer's instructions require.

Just to be on the safe side :)

Kind regards,

DS.

P.s i agree, its a lovely job :D

Although the bus bar covers missing

Erm, if that's the bit of extruded plastic with 'WARNING' printed all over it, I removed it to get a clearer photo!

So all in all I've been doing my electrician a disservice, and worrying unnecessarily then (?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back