Storage Heater MCB rating

Sponsored Links
2.5 mm2 cable.

Would be inclined to fit 16 amp RCBOs, though a storage heater can't exactly be overloaded.

Did you not get any paperwork at the time? You should have an installation/test certificate which ought at least indicate what size cable was used.

Kind Regards, John

I honestly can't remember what paperwork we had from the electrician. As I said, we had trouble getting him here to finish the work, and it all got a bit messy. We also had builders in at the same time... wall insulation, plastering, roof repairs...

I'll get my other 'arf to see what she can find (that is her department after all! :) )

Sponsored Links
2.5 mm2 cable.
It certainly looks as if it probably is (and that is obvioulsy what one would expect), but can you be certain from that pic? I know I've not got all that much experience, but I've been caught out before now with the difference between 2.5mm² and 4mm² conductors, particularly in photographs.

Kind Regards, John

It certainly looks as if it probably is (and that is obvioulsy what one would expect), but can you be certain from that pic? I know I've not got all that much experience, but I've been caught out before now with the difference between 2.5mm² and 4mm² conductors, particularly in photographs.

I think I'll get hold of an odd scrap of 2.5mm from somewhere (trip to B&Q with some sidecutters maybe) and compare.

The job looks as if no corners have been cut! I would be surprised if the cabling is 2.5mm.

DS

Good news that it is stranded.

Apologies for a hasty judgement.

Should we be concerned about the size of the flex between the double pole switch and the heater?

Good news that it is stranded. Apologies for a hasty judgement.
And me ... although I'm a bit surprised.
Should we be concerned about the size of the flex between the double pole switch and the heater?
Probably only if your middle name is Jobsworth!

In fact, even if your middle name were Jobsworth, as has been implied, if one is prepared to argue (I would think reasonably) that a storage heater "is not likely to result in an overload", there is not necessarily a requirement for overload protection of the (dedicated) circuit's fixed wiring, let alone the flex at the end.

Common sense time, I reckon.

Kind Regards, John

Good news that it is stranded.

Apologies for a hasty judgement.

Just when we thought it was safe to go back in the water! ;)

Ive no idea how to gauge the rating for flex. Anyhow, I've just put a vernier across it and it measures at a little over 8mm ...but I'm sure that's really pretty meaningless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back