Storage Heater Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I currently have storage heaters (x7) in my house, they are about 20+ years old and I think they are becoming less effective as the house seems colder every winter.

They are Dimplex heaters and we have;

1 x XLS24N
1 x XLS18N
5 x XLS12N

I would like to replace these heaters so would like some advice if possible.

I have seen some Creda Eco Response heaters that look and seem more economical and also know the Creda Sensair heaters provide good heat (my mum had some).

1) Does anybody have any experience of the Creda Eco Response Heaters?
2) Can I simply replace these heaters without replacing the fusebox (as it's quite old)?
3) Is it a case of simply removing the wiring of the old heater and wiring in the new heater?
4) Is there anything I should be checking or replacing other than the heaters?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The Dimplex storage heaters you mention are current models, and spare elements etc. are readily available. Therefore if they don't heat up properly, it should just be a case of replacing a few elements.

Creda Eco Response heaters are storage heaters with an additional convector heater built in. These will cost far more to run, as the convector part will operate on the expensive daytime electricity. They will also require additional circuits at every heater point, as they need to be connected to both the off peak and daytime supplies.
Just to purchase 7 of them will cost well over £2000, and then there is the installation and extra wiring required, plus the significantly increased electricity costs every year.

Rather than replace them, a far better solution is to find someone to check the existing heaters and replace any broken parts.
You should also ensure the house is properly insulated, as without this you are just throwing money away regardless of what heating system is used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back