Storage Heater - thermostat question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2.5kw Creda 79351 that looks to have recently burnt out its neutral wire at the 13A wall switch, the fuse looked to be ok.

I'm presuming it's an overheating issue of some sort and that the thermostat is at fault but wanted to confirm.

The thermal fuselink is intact. The resistance on all 3 x heating elements is approx 21 ohms which I believe is about correct for this 2.5kw heater.

When wired into the mains via a plug, with the input set to max all 3 x elements receive 240v and heat up accordingly.
When the input selecter is turned down and an audible click can be heard which would suggest it works.
When set to the lowest input value no voltage reaches the heating element which I guess is expected.
My question is when the input selector is on any value above the 'click', full voltage is applied and the elements would appear to go to maxium heat. Is this correct? Surely a lower voltage would be applied to reduce the input value.

Basically the input is either applying full 240v or nothing at all. There doesn't appear to be a middle ground. Is this therefore the thermostat that is at fault? Thanks

Sponsored Links
No its not the stat. The neutral connection was probably loose ,and that's what caused the damage.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back