Storage heater time switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just taken MiLs meter readings, the storage heater mechanical timeswitch is stuck in the on position, its a very old one with afternoon boost, so the heaters are permanently on. Basically they are now controlled by the heater thermostat, so constantly topping up instead of switching on from cool and bringing the temperature up. My thoughts are maybe this is not a bad thing, should I say nothing or report to supplier, it is their equipment after all?

Sponsored Links
The on , meaning that the storage heaters are now using the cheap rate electricity meter ? EC7 ???
so the EC7 meter is on 24 instead of for 7 hours

I suspect that may be noticed in the reading they get . as the night reading will go up significantly .......... when used ALL day.
OR
has this been like that for some time ??
usually you get a 40/60 sort of split between the 2 readings , at least thats what I saw on Ec7 , with storage heaters -

we had ec7 - no heaters , but just used as much as possible overnight - washing etc on a timer

are the storage heaters on a separate circuit / consumer unit

or is the whole house now getting cheap ec7 all day

I know the timer in a friends house switch the storage heaters plugs on and also the whole house had Ec7 at night - but she had 2 separate meters , with 2 readings each - day/night/combined

Just to clarify, its not an E7 system, its one of the predecessors (D13?) only the heaters are on the off peak, rest of the house is separate, previously the immersion was on off peak switching on with the heaters, after a problem I disconnected it and fitted an oversink heater, so the reading will have dropped anyway. This may have been going on for months

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back