Storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My daughter has just moved into a flat which is wired for 3 storage heaters. Two heaters are connected via switched connection units. There is no heater connected to the third outlet which is not a switched connection unit but is a 13 amp switched socket with "Only to be used for Economy7" stamped on it. Surely she can't just buy a storage heater and put a 13 amp plug on it and plug it in? I have never seen a storage heater connected by means of a 13 amp, 3 pin plug. There is a separate consumer unit for the storage heaters consisting of 3 15 amp wired fuses.
Please advise on the best course of action.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Economy 7 and all the other names given are tariffs and it does not tell you how the house is wired to use that tariff. Some houses are arranged so items like tumble driers can be used overnight and some times the supply is switched on and off and sometimes each heater or other appliance switches on and off. The latter allows one to use a boost when required.

In general they are 3Kw and are protected with a 13A fuse which in theory could use a 13A socket. In practice the 13A socket although designed during the second world war for heaters since it has been modified with finger protectors is not really good enough for sustained 13A and one would normally use a fused connection unit. (FCU)

Where a master time switch turns the power to all heaters on and off then normally there is a dedicated consumer unit. But not always.

Thanks ericmark. You are saying what I suspected that it is best not to use a 13 amp plug/socket. The heaters are wired to a dedicated consumer unit with three 15 amp fuses.

Sponsored Links
theres 4 different flavours...
850w
1700w
2550w
3300w /(3400w dimplex)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back