storage heating install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mate with an old cottage,
He intends to rent this out but at the moment he has no form of heating and no gas supply,
I have suggested storage heating as running cost will not be an issue for him he will be getting a quote from a sparks for the work but was wondering what a ball park figure would be for the job its two bedroom. 3m x 3m each, living room. 4m x 4m, dining room. 4m x 3m. So all he will need is four heaters (no hallway and very small kitchen) all surface wiring (plenty of beams) what size heaters is he looking at ?.
The only alternative to this would be for him to fit normal convector heaters would this be a viable alternative and could they be fitted with thermostats ?
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
With convector heaters, you have mroe controllabel heat, and they could turn out to be cheaper to run if you have them centrally timed and a tamperproof thermostat in every room (so women dont use it as an on/off switch). They are cheap to install, even on a timed system - you'd still need a dedicated circuit for each heater though and therefore possibly a new DB, but you could time the whole supply to this as I said above, so they arent running overnight and between 9am-3pm etc.

I'm sure I dont need to tell you of the pros and cons of storage heating compared to the above.

Thanks for your reply
Your idea of having the heaters on a timed supply sounds good I was just wondering if he would get enough heat out of this type of heating?
Have you any idea what size heaters he should have given the room sizes above.
And would the main cut-out (I think 60A) handle the load if all the heaters were to be on during the day along with the immersion heater, washing machine, kettle etc.? (He may even want an electric shower?)
He will also need a bathroom heater I take it a small wall mounted fan heater would be sufficient?

Sponsored Links
Storage heaters are actually surprisingly exensive for what they are, so are more of a long term investment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back